Ports necessary

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

lclaudius

Ports necessary

Post by lclaudius »

What are the ports used by ZunTzu to connect? My Windows machine is behind a Linux firewall, and I think I managed to open udp port 1805, but my partner couldn't connect. I have seen references in the Internet to DirectX games using other ports; is this the case with ZunTzu?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

The only port used by ZunTzu is the UDP port indicated in the "Host" dialog box. By default it's port 1805.
If the devices you're behind - routers and firewalls - support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), you'll have nothing to do: Windows will handle everything for you.
In case you're behind a router that doesn't support UPnP, you have to configure it manually to forward all incoming requests on UDP 1805 to your computer.

The requirement for an open port applies to the hosting player only. To connect to a game session, usually there is nothing to do, because most firewalls are set to allow outgoing connexion requests.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Something worth mentioning: when you're hosting a game, make sure you communicate your public IP address to the other players. That address can be different from your local IP address.
ZunTzu determines the correct address automatically, and copies it to your clipboard. Just paste it into an email or instant message.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Jerome wrote:Something worth mentioning: when you're hosting a game, make sure you communicate your public IP address to the other players. That address can be different from your local IP address.
ZunTzu determines the correct address automatically, and copies it to your clipboard. Just paste it into an email or instant message.
Actually, in my case ZunTzu doesn't determine the IP correctly. I do have two other means of checking it, though, so it doesn't matter.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

lclaudius wrote:Actually, in my case ZunTzu doesn't determine the IP correctly.
Do you mean that no address is returned or that the returned address is wrong?
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Jerome wrote:Do you mean that no address is returned or that the returned address is wrong?
Two different situations:

1. Windows box behind a Linux firewall using IP Masquerade --- the address returned by ZunTzu is completely bogus, it's not the public IP address of the ADSL router. I determine this address by looking in the router's configuration page.

2. Windows box connected directly to the ADSL router --- ZunTzu returns a "?" instead of the public IP address, which I determine again by checking the configuration page.

Alternatively, and to double-check, there is a Google widget that reports the correct IP number, even behind my firewall (it's at http://www.haraldsinger.de/).
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

The IP determination mechanism used by ZunTzu is simple. ZunTzu sends a HTTP request to this web site, and then reads the IP address contained in the response. That's the IP address of the caller from the web site's point of view, so I don't see how it can be completely bogus.

If ZunTzu fails to determine the correct address, it is not a good sign. You'll probably have trouble hosting a game.

In situation 1, I don't understand why the IP address returned was different from the public IP address used by your ADSL router. Maybe your ADSL router is behind a Network Address Translation device you're not aware of?

In situation 2, the question mark indicates that the request to the ZunTzu web site failed. It was likely blocked by a firewall.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Jerome wrote:The IP determination mechanism used by ZunTzu is simple. ZunTzu sends a HTTP request to this web site, and then reads the IP address contained in the response. That's the IP address of the caller from the web site's point of view, so I don't see how it can be completely bogus.

If ZunTzu fails to determine the correct address, it is not a good sign. You'll probably have trouble hosting a game.

In situation 1, I don't understand why the IP address returned was different from the public IP address used by your ADSL router. Maybe your ADSL router is behind a Network Address Translation device you're not aware of?
It's possible, I'll check. But it this is true, it indded means that I won't be able to host.
In situation 2, the question mark indicates that the request to the ZunTzu web site failed. It was likely blocked by a firewall.
On the other hand, in situation 2 I can host a game with no trouble.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

lclaudius wrote:On the other hand, in situation 2 I can host a game with no trouble.
That's weird. :?: :?: :?:
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Jerome wrote:If ZunTzu fails to determine the correct address, it is not a good sign. You'll probably have trouble hosting a game.
Well, it seems that the problem was a compound one: the ADSL router was blocking the port and the Linux firewall was configured to block everything also. When I opened the port on the router and changed the default policy of the firewall, I finally got to host a game --- and ZunTzu is reporting the correct address too. Thanks for the help, Jerome, everything is fine now.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Obviously ZunTzu would benefit from a better router/firewall traversal mechanism. I'll be working on it.