Can I Play 2P, Controlling Both Sides, on one computer?

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

fatgreta1066

Can I Play 2P, Controlling Both Sides, on one computer?

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Hi,

I wonder if it's possible to play a 2p game against myself using ZunTzu? Can I open two instances of it and connect as in multiplayer, or do something similar to Vassal where I retire at the end of the turn, log back in as the other player, etc.?

Thanks,

Chris
GJK

Post by GJK »

AFAICT, there is no need to have two instances running. VASSAL has you "log in" for email games so that it can keep track of hidden pieces and piece "ownership" (who can control what pieces). ZunTzu has none of those features as it plays just like the boardgame but on the computer. So in essence, you're question is like asking "should I have two copies of the boardgame on the table, playing one side for each of them?".
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

GJK wrote:AFAICT, there is no need to have two instances running. VASSAL has you "log in" for email games so that it can keep track of hidden pieces and piece "ownership" (who can control what pieces). ZunTzu has none of those features as it plays just like the boardgame but on the computer. So in essence, you're question is like asking "should I have two copies of the boardgame on the table, playing one side for each of them?".
Well, not quite. In Vassal, if you log in as one side, you are only allowed to manipulate that side's pieces and what not on the board. Also, in Vassal, if you log in as one side, you can only see the cards in that side's hand. So you don't have two instances of Vassal running, you just "retire" and then join as another side/player. I wonder if that, or something like it, is possible with ZunTsu. Of course, Vassal (depending on the module designer) does more rules enforcement, so that might not be as important with ZunTsu as it is with Vassal.

What I've done to this point is just start the scenario and play it out, as if the boardgame itself was on the table in front of me. That works fine for playing the game so far, and of course hidden units don't work in a solo game. I was thinking it would be a good way to get a handle on as many different features of the program as possible to do it the other way. Also, depending on the game (I'm using ZunTsu solely for Conflict of Heroes at this point), such a feature may make solo game play easier, although I'm not certain how.

Chris
GJK

Post by GJK »

I might of said "pbem" but that's what I said - the logging in feature in VASSAL tells the program who can control what. I'm confused though, if you're playing just against yourself and will see all the cards/pieces/etc every time you swap sides, why hide or log in/out at all unless it's for the hidden pieces, but in something like COH where there's only a few pieces on the board at a time, are you really going to convince yourself that a piece isn't where it just was as you were playing that other side? :o

That rant said, I do wish that there was some way to have truely hidden pieces in ZunTzu. The lack of that and a way to Pbem using it keep me from using as much as I'd like. I never/rarely meet up online to play using it. I might solo some games but if there's a VASSAL module already, I'll use it instead because of the extra features. ZunTzu's one true strength is the ease at which to create gamebox's - and the zoom/pan/scrolling is pretty cool.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

GJK wrote:I might of said "pbem" but that's what I said - the logging in feature in VASSAL tells the program who can control what. I'm confused though, if you're playing just against yourself and will see all the cards/pieces/etc every time you swap sides, why hide or log in/out at all unless it's for the hidden pieces, but in something like COH where there's only a few pieces on the board at a time, are you really going to convince yourself that a piece isn't where it just was as you were playing that other side? :o
Well, as I said, it isn't crucial, and in fact I've been playing a scenario successfully anyway. Having the ability to assume the correct side helps some in terms of keeping track of what's happening, what I've done, etc. In other games it's more important (such as Through the Ages, which I've played a lot solo on Vassal).
GJK wrote:That rant said, I do wish that there was some way to have truely hidden pieces in ZunTzu. The lack of that and a way to Pbem using it keep me from using as much as I'd like. I never/rarely meet up online to play using it. I might solo some games but if there's a VASSAL module already, I'll use it instead because of the extra features. ZunTzu's one true strength is the ease at which to create gamebox's - and the zoom/pan/scrolling is pretty cool.
I tend to agree with that, although I'm only just starting to use ZunTzu. The other feature that seems lacking is an online opponent finder, although I'm not sure if enough people are using this yet that you'd likely run into opponents online.

Are you the guy who made the COH gamebox? Nice job. If you'd like to get together for some online play, I'd be up for that. I don't know if I'd be much of a challenge, but I like COH a great deal. If you want to try and find a time to play, post a reply here and send me a PM with an email address and we can start working out a time (I don't want to post an email address here).

Chris