Linux, Ubuntu...

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Beren

Linux, Ubuntu...

Post by Beren »

Is ZT playable with other operative systems others than windows?
GJK

Post by GJK »

Per the FAQ:

Q. What are the system requirements to install and run ZunTzu?

A. ZunTzu runs only on Windows XP (sorry Mac and Linux folks). You need a 3D card that meets the requirements for DirectX 7. And of course you'll need to be connected to the Internet. A broadband connection is recommended, but ZunTzu should work with a 56K modem connection.

It would be nice though if a Linux guru could help port ZT over. I hate when I post a message about ZT on a gaming forum somewhere and I get the "yeah, looks cool but it won't run on my Mac/Linux so no go".
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Beren

Post by Beren »

The same happened to me today :)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I've heard that some Mac users run ZunTzu using BootCamp or virtualization software such as VMware Fusion.

Around 1% of users run Linux. And most of them are not interested in games anyway. The ones that are already have a dual-boot.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
gherardo

linux

Post by gherardo »

I PLAY wargames and, since I'm a linux user, I'm a bit upset.
Currently I use VASSAL in Ubuntu, Xandros eeepc and any kind of Windows (I even made some modules by myself to play with my friends).
I like the way in which ZunTzu represents the boardgame and I tried to run it on Ubuntu using wine, but without any success!
I suggest you to take the multi-platform feature seriously: the choice to bundle a good piece of software like this one to Windows' directX could hamper the future portage in other systems (smart phones, netbooks...) and finally the life of the program.
Thanks
Gherardo
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: linux

Post by Jerome »

gherardo wrote:the choice to bundle a good piece of software like this one to Windows' directX could hamper the future portage in other systems (smart phones, netbooks...) and finally the life of the program.
I chose .NET et DirectX because it was fun to use. Without the fun factor this software wouldn't have been born in the first place.
It wasn't meant to offend Mac or Linux users.
Crafol

Post by Crafol »

:cry:
Retuono

Post by Retuono »

I regret too that it's not working for Mac. :(

But at least it was useful to come here, I discovered Vassal.
Daelius

Post by Daelius »

I'm a wargamer and a Mac user.

Zuntzu is a great program, but, as stated before, the windows only question is a pitty. I know there are some solutions to run Zuntzu in my mac (VM Fusion, Boot Camp, Parallels) but the question is that I decided to go from windows to mac because I believe the mac platform is better and safer, so I don't want to install windows in my computer.

I know linux and mac users are a minority but others have worked and have been able to create a very good software for all the people (Vassal) so if there are no plans to make zuntzu available for linux and mac users, I would stay with the old, not so nice but multiplatform vassal.

Best Regards,

Daelius
Epaminonda

Post by Epaminonda »

I agree with what said before, ZunTzu representation of the boardgame experience, is awesome.
It's a real pity those like me a several others, who have switched to not Windows OSs, can't enjoy it yet.
I really wish some hero will be able to port it to Linux.
:(
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I plan to develop ZunTzu 2 as an open source project using the Silverlight 4 technology. It will work on Mac.
Cosworth

Post by Cosworth »

Another Linux user here.
Just registered to say I'm sorry to see the lack of support for other operating systems.
Silverlight for a version 2 may actually improve this situation as Novell have a "Moonlight" open source version of Silverlight running . Let me know if you need some Linux testers for a version 2 based on silverlight.

http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Cosworth wrote:Let me know if you need some Linux testers for a version 2 based on silverlight.
Thanks!
Do not expect anything to test soon.
I'm currently developing proofs-of-concept in Silverlight 4 - which is still in beta on Windows as of April 2010.
I'll probably setup a blog to report on my progress.