World in Flames

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Beren

World in Flames

Post by Beren »

Hi, I think i have finished the module, but i need some help in testing it and trying to find any errors, in order to start creating some scenarios to help some setups. Anyone interested give me an email and i´ll send a link to download the module (almost 100 MBs) :)
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Hi, I think i have finished the module, but i need some help in testing it and trying to find any errors, in order to start creating some scenarios to help some setups. Anyone interested give me an email and i´ll send a link to download the module (almost 100 MBs)
Hi Beren, I'm up for it!

Regards, Bill
jkhafizova

hi

Post by jkhafizova »

Hi Beren.

Me too
Beren

Post by Beren »

give me an e-mail please
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I would like to help. What expansions have you included? I've just got a copy of the Final Edition without any expansion.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Beren

Post by Beren »

All expansions :), even DoD... doesn´t matter, the only thing to do is to look if counters are well punched and those kind of things... your emails?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

It's monumental!!! :shock: Congratulations!!!
As far as I know, it's the biggest ZunTzu game box ever. Only lclaudius' Europa boxes could maybe compare.

I've checked every single counter sheet, and noticed only a few errors:
- There's an unsupported "<Text " tag on line 1024 of game-box.xml.
- AmiF sheet: the counter section for the Brazilian units is missing (both sides).
- AmiF sheet: the counter section for the Bunker Hill ship has a zero height (bad front-bottom and back-bottom values).
- AmiF sheet: a counter section for Japanese air units is missing (third Japanese section from top, both sides).
- AmiF sheet: the 21st section, supposed to enclose the units at the right bottom corner of the back image, has a bad back-top value (66 instead of 4278).

Also:
- The icon file could be slimmer by using indexed colors intead of 256 colors. Slimmer icons make the game library open faster.
- The quality of the images for the counter sheets and the main maps is good: low res but sharp because not scanned. Did you take the counters also from the Vassal module? On the other hand some of the maps have a lot of aliasing - AmericaMiniMap for instance. Where did you get them from? Were they originally in 256 colors?
Beren

Post by Beren »

All stuff is from ADG material, the CD companion in pdf format... Eurasia map is fine, but africa, america and scandinavia come in worse quality (don´t know why)... the counters are also from there ( i paased tthem to jpeg at 300 dpi and then reescaled)... much better than vassal counters, they are horrible :P

I´ll check America in flames CS, a lot of errors there :)...
what kind of error is this?

How can i do the icon correctly?

Thanks!
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Beren wrote:All stuff is from ADG material, the CD companion in pdf format... Eurasia map is fine, but africa, america and scandinavia come in worse quality (don´t know why)... the counters are also from there ( i paased tthem to jpeg at 300 dpi and then reescaled)... much better than vassal counters, they are horrible :P
Your images look much better indeed. I've just checked the Vassal module. I suppose they used the same source but must have applied a lot more JPEG compression, maybe to decrease the memory footprint.

Regarding the low quality maps, are you sure you used the same method? Maybe you rendered them directly to 150 dpi by mistake?
Have you tried using 300 dpi for the counters (rendered to 600 dpi and then rescaled)? You're allowed to mix 300 dpi counters with 150 dpi maps. That would solve your quality issues mentioned in another thread.
what kind of error is this?
There's an extra closing bracket at the end of line 1024:

Code: Select all

back-left="975" back-top="3474" back-right="1823" back-bottom="3642" />>
How can i do the icon correctly?
Open your icon in Photoshop - or another bitmap editor - and change the Image Mode to Indexed Color. Then save to BMP. Your image should be twice as small.
Beren

Post by Beren »

No, i used the same method because with acrobat I export all pages at the same time :)... .

I exported the pdf counters to jpeg at 300 dpi (13 MB size) and then reecaled them (to 15%)... and the jpeg is 1 MB size... enough for me as the game at complete has 70 countersheets or so :D

The maps ,if i not remember bad, i exported them to jpeg 300 dpi (1 MBs or so, and rescaled them to 50%)... but not all, with luck some maps like scandinavia, africa, america, fitted perfectly with the 50% eurasia change :)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I've just noticed another issue: the color model of the Eurasia map is CMYK instead of RGB.

Don't use CMYK images because:
- They are slightly larger than RGB ones on disk.
- They don't load as fast because ZunTzu is only optimized for non-interlaced PNG and non-progressive non-CMYK JPEG.
- They use a much larger memory footprint during loading, meaning some users may have trouble loading the map.

That being said, you shouldn't just convert your JPEG image to RGB because you would be adding JPEG artifacts onto JPEG artifacts, and your image would start losing colors like the ones from the Vassal module. You need to start over from the PDF file. :(

You could also choose to keep it as it is.
Last edited by Jerome on 06 Sep 2008, 16:26, edited 3 times in total.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Beren wrote:but not all, with luck some maps like scandinavia, africa, america, fitted perfectly with the 50% eurasia change :)
Do you mean you didn't have to rescale those maps? Then you used a different method. The same method would have been to render them to 600 dpi and then rescale them 50%.

Also, I guess the compression factor used for the Scandinavia map was higher than for the Eurasia map. Is it because you got to choose the compression factor for Eurasia but had to accept Acrobat's default settings for Scandinavia?
Beren

Post by Beren »

ok, i will try to export from the pdf with RGB.... i think that is not a big problem... RGB, sure? :)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Well... I'm not familiar with the function of Acrobat you are using. All I know is that you can open a PDF in Photoshop and then change the image mode to RGB.
Beren

Post by Beren »

Stupid question.... if i export with 600 dpi, and then reescaled for example to 2000 pixels , that is the size of exporting at 150 dpi... is the same grapich qualiy or is it better? :)