Stacking issues even when not stacking

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

radikal

Stacking issues even when not stacking

Post by radikal »

In the gamebox I'm putting together, I have a large counter (about a half page in size - in real life it's a half page of cardstock) with a number of round small (1/2") counters on top of it. Even if I disable stacking, once I've dropped a small counter onto the large counter, I can't pick it up again due to the way object selection works. As I hover over the large counter, it is brought to the foreground and the highlight blinks - this is fine most of the time. But in the case where I'm trying to pick up one of the small counters, this is a real pain. I need to move the large counter out of the way, pick up and manipulate the small counters, and then put the large counter back underneach the remaining small counters.

I've worked around it for the moment by changing the large counters into terrain but that is not obvious to my other players and doesn't allow stacking the small counters on the large one for easy movement from board to board and player to player.

It would be better overall functionality if the selection highlighted the item but kept outlines of all the items that were originally on top (left shadows). Then if the selection could change either as you crossed onto one of the shadows or by pressing a key (Ctrl or Shift-Ctrl) while over one of the shadows to cycle through everyone in the z-order.

It would also be nice to be able to group select by dragging a selection rectangle around a set of components (think calling All In and pushing all your chips forward in poker). This also allows collecting all the played cards to reshuffle when there isn't a discard pile per se.
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Stacking issues even when not stacking

Post by Jerome »

radikal wrote:I've worked around it for the moment by changing the large counters into terrain but that is not obvious to my other players and doesn't allow stacking the small counters on the large one for easy movement from board to board and player to player.
If you can't implement it as a terrain, try implementing it as a playing card. Cards are displayed beneath counters. Unfortunately you still won't be able to transport counters stacked on top of the card. That's a feature for a future version.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.