Scanning map

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Beren

Scanning map

Post by Beren »

Hi, i´m trying to make a world in flames module, I have the maps not scanned in jpeg, and i can´t know what is its resolution in ppis. Can i use them, or I need to know the resolution?

any method to know the dpsi of those maps? thanks in advance
didier69

Post by didier69 »

Hi Beren,

if you open your image with Gimp, you can have the properties of it and then you have the resolution.

Regards.
GJK

Post by GJK »

I'd save yourself the trouble and first ask the permission of and then use the nicely drawn maps found in the VASSAL module. See http://www.theletterj.net/ for the module (which is just a .zip file like what a .ztb is).
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Beren

Post by Beren »

Those maps have 72 ppis... :), thanks anyway for the idea
Beren

Post by Beren »

Could I use this maps in 72 dpi, or it must be 150 or 300?
GJK

Post by GJK »

Yes, just specify that they are 150 dpi in the XML file(s). I think that they look just fine, even when you zoom in. Probably much better than a scan job of all those maps for WiF I would think.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Beren

Post by Beren »

I have the maps on odf from the CD companion, but they not have scale, they are superb, but putting all of them in scale and the counters (also in pdf) will cause me a lot of problems... i think i will use those at 72 dpi and i will put the counters at the same scale...
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Beren, you should not trust the 72 dpi value. It is often just a default value used by bitmap graphics editors when the value is undetermined.
Use your best judgement to evaluate the relative scale of each image, then put everything to the same scale by downsizing the images with the highest definition, and declare everything as 150 dpi in ZunTzu.
If you have high definition scans for the counters, you can save them at double definition - relative to the maps - and then declare them as 300 dpi in ZunTzu.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Beren

Post by Beren »

Thanks Jerome :wink: