ZunTzu gamebox creation assist tool

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

GJK

ZunTzu gamebox creation assist tool

Post by GJK »

Ok, I know that Jerome has stated that he is working on such a tool, but being the impatient type, I came up with one of my own. Actually, below is a link to a portion of it.

Details: I find that the most time consuming part of creating a gamebox (aside from the graphics) is getting all the x,y coordinates from your countersheets. So, looking for a way to semi-automate this, I came up with the following web-based application.

This is a demo, it only has the option to select the countersheet graphics that I have in the appropriate directory but should this go into full production, I'd add the ability for the visitor to upload their own countersheets so that they could be selected and used.

To Use: Simple. First page asks a few questions about the countersheet. If your sheet doesn't have a "Back", then leave the "Total Sections Back" selector at "O". A "Section" is as defined in the support section here and is basically a section of counters containing a number of rows and columns of counters.

After you progress past the first screen, your countersheet that you selected (front initially, unless you goofed and picked the wrong sheet) will show. Enter the number of rows and columns for the first section. Then, moving over the image, your mouse cursor will change to a cross-hair. Simply click in the top left corner and then the bottom right corner of that section. You will then be asked to enter the number of rows/columns for the next section (up to the number of sections that you said the sheet has).

If you have a back side to the sheet (by selecting > 0 on the "Total Sections Back" from the first page) then you will be taken to the back of the countersheet where you repeat the process. Since it is the back of the sheet, you begin with the right side of the sheet and then move on to the left.

After the final click, you will be shown your XML code that you can copy and paste into your gamebox (if this were your actual countersheets of course - perhaps later if there is an interest).

View the demo HERE

Note too that with the Opera web browser, you can ctrl+mousewheel zoom in/out on the image to get a real good click. I don't know how to do this with Firefox or IE. I assume that there is probably a Firefox extension that would allow this.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK

Post by GJK »

Ok, guess I was more excited about this than anybody else as there appears to be no interest in completing an online version that everybody could use. That's fine, the lack of response tells me not to invest the time, which is cool too.

Don't let this discourage you Jerome, I think there's a good number of people that use ZunTzu, and if you come up with a gamebox developement tool, I'm sure that a number of people would take advantage of that.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

GJK wrote:Don't let this discourage you Jerome
Don't worry. ;-)
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Hedge-o-Matic

Post by Hedge-o-Matic »

Wait, wait! I haven't had a chance to visit in a while, and I think this sounds awesome, GJK. Good work!

I think the summer is dampening interest for many, so don't let mere lack of feedback discourage you.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

I think the summer is dampening interest for many, so don't let mere lack of feedback discourage you.
Absolutely. I'm sure it would be very useful, but my last three game boxes were done using computer generated graphics and all used the same size counter sheets, so I didn't even need to get the coordinates. Ah if only all were so easy :)

Keep up the good work Gary :)