IMPORTANT!! REINSTALL REQUIRED!!

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Jerome
Site Admin

IMPORTANT!! REINSTALL REQUIRED!!

Post by Jerome »

The automatic update will fail when trying to upgrade to version 1.2.1.5. This is because I had to change ZunTzu's signature to make ZunTzu run on 64 bits Vista.

Please follow these steps:
1 - Uninstall ZunTzu using Add/Remove programs in the Windows Control Panel.
2 - Install ZunTzu again by clicking on the button in the Files section.
3 - In ZunTzu, your game library will be empty. Don't worry, your game boxes are not lost! They are still on your drive. Just add your game boxes to your library.

Sorry for the mess. :(
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Is there a list of any other new features Jerome?

Thanks again for all of your hard work and support, love the program!

Oh yes - we had chatted here about a utility that would help people create gameboxes. I find that the most time consuming thing (aside from scanning/creating graphics) is getting and entering into XML all the coordinates for the countersheets. I was thinking that it would be so great if you could mark the x,y (upper-left, lower-right) corners on each row with an arbitrary color in your graphics program (say a bright pink) and then have the utility pick up those marks and then record the x,y coordinates and write the XML for you. You could then resave the graphic without the marks for use in the gamebox once the coordinates were recorded. Would your utility that you had mentioned perhaps have something along those lines? If not, I was thinking of perhaps trying my hand at some Visual Basic and making a little utility that would do that (not sure that I'm up to that task, but dreaming....).
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Not all users will think to go to this message board, so I'll find a way to replace the obscure error message by a friendlier one later today. I'm afraid that means all users who have reinstalled ZunTzu in the meantime will have to do it again.
GJK wrote:Is there a list of any other new features Jerome?
If you have a Core 2 processor, you might notice faster loadings (I'm not sure this optimization was already in the previous release).

Otherwise it's just bug fixes:
- fixed a bug that prevented ZunTzu from starting on 64 bits Vista (I don't have a 64 bits Vista available for testing, I just hope it works).
- fixed a bug that made unpunched cards show through the other side of a counter sheet.
- fixed a bug regarding the clicking of counters with transparency masks - you could select one of them by clicking their bounding box, now you need to actually click a opaque part of the counter.
GJK wrote:Would your utility that you had mentioned perhaps have something along those lines?
Yes, the utility will handle all the aspects of game box design. I hope I will be able to make significant progress next week. Pray for rain on the Atlantic coast of France next week. :wink:
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

The automatic update will fail when trying to upgrade to version 1.2.1.5. This is because I had to change ZunTzu's signature to make ZunTzu run on 64 bits Vista.
Hi Jerome, does this mean that ZunTzu will now work problem free with Vista?
Yes, the utility will handle all the aspects of game box design. I hope I will be able to make significant progress next week. Pray for rain on the Atlantic coast of France next week.
This sounds great Jerome! (but do we really need to pray for rain on the coast of France :wink: ). The one thing other than this, that would make ZunTzu a breakthrough utility, is PBeM support - how far off do you think that would be?

Finally, I'd just like to second Gary's thanks and praise for all your efforts - ZunTzu really is superb! :D
GJK

Post by GJK »

Just an FYI Jerome but an acquintance of mine tried to install ZunTzu on his Vista platform PC and was unable to do so. I can get the full spec's and any error messages from him if you like. His email merely said:
Just to let you know that I cannot get ZunTzu to work under Vista (Home Premium) even by setting the Compatibility to XP (SP2) and running as Administrator.
GJK
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Bill Barrett wrote:Hi Jerome, does this mean that ZunTzu will now work problem free with Vista?
Hi Bill! Voice communication is still not supported in Vista. I'm working on it.
Also, I suppose file association doesn't work in Vista without administrator privileges, so Vista users may be unable to open the game boxes directly from the Windows Explorer.

This week's fix is merely to allow the running of ZunTzu on the 64 bits edition of Vista. Previously, Vista refused to run ZunTzu because it wouldn't mix the 32 bits parts written in C++ with the 64 bits parts written in C#. Now I'm telling Vista to run everything in 32 bits. I don't have 64 bits Vista so I can just hope it works.
Bill Barrett wrote:The one thing other than this, that would make ZunTzu a breakthrough utility, is PBeM support - how far off do you think that would be?
I need to fix the issue with voice communication in Vista first. It will then allow me to record voice for PBeM. Users will be able to record and playback game and voice sequences using VCR buttons.
Bill Barrett wrote:Finally, I'd just like to second Gary's thanks and praise for all your efforts - ZunTzu really is superb! :D
Thanks! :D
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

GJK wrote:Just an FYI Jerome but an acquintance of mine tried to install ZunTzu on his Vista platform PC and was unable to do so.
Could you ask him if an error message was displayed? Does he have a 64 bits edition of Vista?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

It will then allow me to record voice for PBeM. Users will be able to record and playback game and voice sequences using VCR buttons.
That sounds brilliant Jerome! Will the recordings be stand-alone? Or will you need to have the game box up and running to view them? If they were independently playable I think you'd have developed the near perfect AAR utility!

Regards, Bill