Cambronne - - Block Game Design

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Chobham_1980

Cambronne - - Block Game Design

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Moved this topic to this thread.

-> see first thread here: http://www.zuntzu.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Not being a Block-Gamer, except for Stratego :shock: , the design process for a block game never was salient for my projects :(

Cambronne, in his post, does posit an interesting question: Is it possible to simulate the 'fog of war' within a ZT game box for block games :?:

Like Stratego, block games simulate the 'fog' by hiding the blocks information on the back of the play-piece. The front only hides the information from the opponent. This informs us that, somehow, the front (generic face) and the back (informational face) need to be designed within the ZT box to produce the same effect of not allowing the opponents to see each others information.

Here are some design :idea:'s that just might answer this vexing question:

1) Like AH's Midway, the 'Board-Tab' is what both players can see. In Stratego this tab would be the Board with both Blue and Red 'generic-face.' Like AH's Midway, each player would have a copy of the same board but with their pieces showing the 'informational-face' and the opponents 'generic-face.' Both players boards can be hidden and both can see the first (shared) board.

Not a satisfactory solution, because each player would have to duplicate their moves in two boards (their own and the shared board), which extends game/down-time during live-game play. Maybe this could be useful in a small block game . . . But - Nope :!: :!:

2) Another mode of design could revolve around separating the front and back of block. There is still a need for a common board-tab to show the front generic-face. Also, there would be a need for each player to have a hidden tab, as to keep track of each blocks information. Sounds like the description above? Yes it does, but with these changes:

a) In the shared board, each generic piece has a number (or letter) assigned. Each player are thus able to see their pieces and the opposing players pieces at the same time with all information 'hidden' on the game board. Keep in mind that each generic piece will have a unique number stamped on the facing.

b) Rather than duplicate the game board and piece placement on each players hidden tab, why not have a List of each numbered player piece :?: A copy of the information for each piece can then be recorded next to each designation (1 to 20 or A to Z).

For example, for three blocks with a Cannon, Cavalry, Infantry:

#1 - Cannon
#2 - Cavalry
#3 - Infantry

On the common Board, only three blocks are seen, each printed with only a #1 a #2 or #3.

On the players hidden tab, there is only a list with #1 - 3. Next to each, one can record which number is assigned the particular information:

#1 - Cavalry
#2 - Infantry
#3 - Cannon

Each player then has a way to assign the information as they wish (from game to game) and in a way that is hidden from their opponent but still available for player review.

To test this design idea, I located a small PnP block-game from Board-Game-Geek called 'Cats vs Dogs'

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... ts-vs-dogs
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

I will post the completed box within 2 weeks.

In the meantime, any cheers or jeers? I welcome all comments :) :!: :P

- Rich

Edit: added "But - Nope :!: :!:"
Last edited by Chobham_1980 on 18 Mar 2018, 22:27, edited 3 times in total.
Cambronne

Post by Cambronne »

I've just noticed I wrote "frof" and "frog" instead of "fog"
Fortunately Rich understood anyway
Chobham_1980

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Cambronne wrote:I've just noticed I wrote "frof" and "frog" instead of "fog"
Fortunately Rich understood anyway
Yes, but you know French and English :!: Got a language on me . . . 8)
Chobham_1980

Cat Vs Dogs - Block Game Test

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Hi ZT Folk:

First, let's give a 'thanks' to Chris Hansen :P for allowing his 'Cats Vs Dogs' PnP game to be used for this Block Game demonstration. Mr Hansen may allow this to be hosted on BGG (and Limey-Yanks?). Before placing on the net, I will make some cosmetic fixes - keep watching this forum for the completed game-box.

But for now, here is a link to the TEST box: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yg9f3a7cs ... gsTest.ztb

Let me know what you think! Good :) and bad :twisted: comments are welcome . . .

- - Rich
Chobham_1980

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Things are rolling - - even my Nephew's 5 year old tested the "Test" & "V1.0".

Thanks Landon :mrgreen: (his favorite colour) . . . Rich
Chobham_1980

Block Game Demonstration - Complete for Review

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Hi ZT Folk:

Again, many thanks to Mr. Chris Hansen for allowing his PNP game 'Cats Vs. Dogs' to be used for demonstrating my ideas for block game design. He has also graciously allowed the ZT-Box to be hosted on the net. When this happens I'll update this thread.

In this final version, the only major change was adding a PDF copy of the 'Block Record Sheet' (BRS). For more competitive play, it might be a better idea to record the initial assignment of values to each block number, on a piece of paper. Then encrypt a scan of the BRS to e-mail opponent prior to play. At the end of the game, the encrypted version can be opened for review.

Because of this change, I needed to ZIP the ZT-Box along with the BRS-PDF. After downloading, unzip the package. I'll keep this link up for awhile (but if it not active, feel free to contact me on this forum for a copy):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j334tjus8 ... VsDogs.zip

Regards, Rich
Chobham_1980

Limey-Yanks is TOPS

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Hi ZTR's - - as promised, Limey-Yanks placed the 'Cats Vs. Dogs' block-game demonstration in their growing catalog of ZT boxes :!:

Click on over for a peek:

http://limeyyankgames.co.uk/zun-tzu

- Rich
Cambronne

Re: Cambronne - - Block Game Design

Post by Cambronne »

Chobham_1980 wrote: 2) Another mode of design could revolve around separating the front and back of block. There is still a need for a common board-tab to show the front generic-face. Also, there would be a need for each player to have a hidden tab, as to keep track of each blocks information.
OK, this is the best way to play frog of war.
Some games could fit (Example : Vae Victis Montenotte) some others would need compromising.
I do not see any other option.
Let's experiment
Chobham_1980

He still likes this!

Post by Chobham_1980 »

This past weekend, my nephew's 5 year old asked to play 'Cats vs Dogs' - AGAIN!

3 games played - the drama was high - Cats 2 wins vs Dog 1 win!

Landon (Dog player) was afraid to 'battle,' but my suspicion he is getting over 'battling' - - to my detriment :?:

If you have a 4-6+ year old, give this game a try :P:

Regards, Rich
Cambronne

Post by Cambronne »

This is not a pure block-game, but there is my last module edited : "Napoleon 1806", by Shakos, hosted on Linkey Yank Games