Possible new functionality

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Hedge-o-Matic

Possible new functionality

Post by Hedge-o-Matic »

I'm designing a game that uses cards, and was having a hard time using Zun Tzu to replicate the behavior of real cards. I know the card functions are going to be revisited in the future, but I thought I'd throw in my ideas of how this might be done.

First off, I'd recommend a hidden menu of deck options, that hovered by the deck, accessible when needed, like so:

When clicked, it would reveal the deck options, like so:

The option icons are as follows:

Shuffle: As it works now, of course
Gather: Brings together into the deck all of the cards from that deck that are on the table.
Flip: Flips over the entire deck of cards, for games that recycle decks in the order they are added to the pile, with out shuffling.
Straighten: Since gathered cards keep their orientations, this button puts them all top-up.

Another possible button might be Dock/Undock, to allow the moving of the deck itself.

Anyway, when the menu is open, clicking outside of it will close it again. I think this will add in many of the functions of a real set of cards, and still be clean.

Another thought I had was that, in real like, you can sweep up counters, stone, etc, and gather them togher easily, while with Zun Tzu, you have to do things one at a time. Is there any way to sweep up certain types of counters, perhaps with a similar menu button shown with the counter's sheet?

Reactions?
ChubRock

Re: Possible new functionality

Post by ChubRock »

I really like the straighten idea. I don't know about gather because you would have to associate what cards belong to what decks. Maybe once multi select is implemented, then you could gather all cards selected. Shuffle and flip you can already pretty easily.
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Possible new functionality

Post by Jerome »

Yes, the straighten function is cool. And so are your icons, Hedge-o-Matic!
Note that you can already do many of the things that you describe, but maybe in ways that are not obvious enough.
Hedge-o-Matic wrote:Gather: Brings together into the deck all of the cards from that deck that are on the table.
ChubRock is right: that would be difficult to implement at the moment. Will it still be needed when multi-selection is implemented?
Hedge-o-Matic wrote:Flip: Flips over the entire deck of cards, for games that recycle decks in the order they are added to the pile, with out shuffling.
To flip each card, without changing their order in the deck, keep Ctrl pressed and double-right-click the bottom-most card.
To flip the whole deck (i.e. flip each card and invert their order in the deck), first flip each card then double-click the deck and invert the deck with the Invert icon. (I know, it's certainly too complicated...)
Hedge-o-Matic wrote:Another possible button might be Dock/Undock, to allow the moving of the deck itself.
To move the whole deck, keep Ctrl pressed and drag the bottom-most card.
Hedge-o-Matic wrote:Anyway, when the menu is open, clicking outside of it will close it again. I think this will add in many of the functions of a real set of cards, and still be clean.
It would certainly be an improvement. I will investigate your idea. Thanks for sharing! ;-)
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.