Locking Down Counters

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Saladin

Locking Down Counters

Post by Saladin »

Some boardgames have counters (terrain, buildings, entrenchments, etc.) that are permanent in the context of a single game. And, of course, this is critical for virtual miniatures games. Is there a way to lock them down so they don't get accidentally moved?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Yes. Define you counters as terrains.
It's a special kind of counter that is displayed beneath all others and that is locked except when ZunTzu is in terrain editing mode.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Found it in a post about 1.2:

Terrains sheets are defined just like counter sheets, except you need to replace "counter-sheet" with "terrain-sheet" and "counter-section" with "terrain-section".
Terrain sheets don't have tabs except when you switch to terrain editing mode (with the trowel icon).

Counters become invisible when terrain editing mode is on. It can be convenient to check map features underneath stacks of counters even if you don't use terrains.

Some games will use terrains as the only background elements. It is thus possible to define an empty black map, not linked to any image file, to display the terrain elements. In the scenario file, just declare a "layout" node with a "tab" attribute for the tab text, but no "board" attribute.

Could you add that to the Support section?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Saladin wrote:Could you add that to the Support section?
I agree. The game box design tutorial needs to be updated.
ChubRock

Post by ChubRock »

It seems as though a lock down feature may still be useful even with Terrain sheets. For example, games that have customizable tile layouts sometimes require shuffling the tiles and then building a board. Not only do terrains not have backs (as far as I can tell), but they are also in unlimited supply.

Yes, I can just use the card-section feature to make these tiles but then they may move on me during gameplay by accident. It would be nice to lock them down after setting up so this won't happen.

So I think it would be nice to either add the ability to lock down card-sections or add card-like ability to terrains.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I agree.