Is what I am trying to do possible in ZunTzu?

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

TGov

Is what I am trying to do possible in ZunTzu?

Post by TGov »

Hello, new here :)

I am thinking of creating a ZunTzu version of CC:A that looks more like the actual games than the VASSAL version. ZunTzu to me is a way to replicate all of the attraction and charm of playing a boardgame face to face without actually playing face to face, if that makes sense. When I am playing a game such as 1960 or Carcassone on ZunTzu it feels much closer to playing it in real life because of the way you can freely move about and manipulate the materials much like you would in real life.

So, back to CC:A. Here is a picture of what I am envisioning.

I rendered the board and pieces in 3dMax. What I am wondering is if I would be able to do the pieces like you see here, where they are an odd shape. I read through the faq and see that you can use masks for odd shaped counters, but would it work with the blocks separated like they are? I am going to do separate renders for each step in unit reduction just like a counter or the Battlelore version found here. I guess my question is do the "counters" have to be the same shape on the front and the back? Obviously a 4 strength unit is going to be a different shape than a 3 strength unit, so when you flip it will there be a problem or with the mask take care of that?

I am going to contact GMT to make sure it is ok for me to release this when I am done, but I wanted to make sure it is possible to do before I get ahead of myself :)

I am looking forward to working on this version and talking with those here :)

Thanks

TGov
TGov

Post by TGov »

ok, I guess I will answer my own question. It looks like it will work ok, it is just a pain getting the columns and rows set up correctly for some reason.

Still waiting on word from GMT though.
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Is what I am trying to do possible in ZunTzu?

Post by Jerome »

TGov wrote:I read through the faq and see that you can use masks for odd shaped counters, but would it work with the blocks separated like they are? I am going to do separate renders for each step in unit reduction just like a counter or the Battlelore version found here. I guess my question is do the "counters" have to be the same shape on the front and the back? Obviously a 4 strength unit is going to be a different shape than a 3 strength unit, so when you flip it will there be a problem or with the mask take care of that?
Hi TGov!

Sorry for the late answer. I confirm you can use different masks for the front and the back of a counter. So it should work.

Good luck with GMT.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
TGov

Re: Is what I am trying to do possible in ZunTzu?

Post by TGov »

Jerome wrote:
Good luck with GMT.
Is that like a general Good Luck, or are you implying that they will probably not give me permission? :)

Thanks for the reply btw :)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Just a general good luck. GMT has been known to be favorably disposed toward computerized aids for their games.
TGov

Post by TGov »

Good news, I just got an email from GMT saying that it should be ok for me to release C&C:A for ZunTzu. They guy that emailed me said he had to check with one other person, but he really thought it would be fine and he was excited to see the end result.

On another note, I got the blocks working and the board "in game" so now it is pretty much just a matter of getting every thing else put in there as there really isn't much to this game :)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

That's great! Congratulations! :D
TGov

Post by TGov »

ok, I am having one more problem. When creating my pieces I would like to be able to use just one "counter" multiple times. I thought I had it set up correctly in the code, but it still only allows me to use one of each "counter" even though I might have it set to 24 in the supply.

Here is what I have....

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252" ?>
<game-box
	name="Commands and Colors Ancients"
	description="by Richard Borg"
	copyright="GMT Games"
	startup-scenario="At-Start.ztg">
	<dice-hand type="D6">
		<dice count="8" texture-file="dicetexture.png"/>
	</dice-hand>
	<map name="CCA" image-file="CCAmap.gif" resolution="150 dpi"/>
	<counter-sheet name="Romans" front-image-file="Roman_Blocks.png" front-mask-file="Roman_Blocks_mask.png" front-resolution="150 dpi">
<!-- row 1 -->
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="24"
				face-left="0" face-right="192" face-top="0" face-bottom="124" />
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="8"
			face-left="193" face-right="387" face-top="0" face-bottom="124" />
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="4"
			face-left="387" face-right="581" face-top="0" face-bottom="124" />
			face-left="581" face-right="775" face-top="0" face-bottom="124" />
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="32"
			face-left="0" face-right="193" face-top="124" face-bottom="249" />
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="8"
			face-left="193" face-right="387" face-top="124" face-bottom="249" />
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="16"
			face-left="387" face-right="581" face-top="124" face-bottom="249" />
	    <card-section shadow="0" supply="4"
			face-left="581" face-right="675" face-top="124" face-bottom="249" />
	</counter-sheet>
	</game-box>
Am I imagining this correctly or will I need to have 24 copies of unit one and 8 of two and so on on my counter sheet?

Thanks

TGov
TGov

Post by TGov »

ok nevermind....it is working now :)
TGov

Post by TGov »

NEW QUESTION...LOL

ok,

I am trying to get the double sided counters set up and I think I have figured out how to set the image files up but for some reason it will not let me flip the counters when I have them on the board.

I can flip them in the counters tab but all of them flip and then the mask for the front side starts flashing if that makes sense. Is there some code I am missing about getting the back side to show up on the board? Also, since technically flipping over the counters in CCA would mean that there is one less block on the back side, is the fact that they will be different shapes going to interfere with what I am trying to do?

I will put my code in below.

I am sorry if I am not being clear, but I am not sure how to explain it.

Thanks

TGov

<game-box
	copyright="GMT Games"
	<dice-hand type="D6">
	</dice-hand>
	<counter-sheet name="Romans" front-image-file="Roman_Blocks.png" front-mask-file="Roman_Blocks_mask.png" front-resolution="150 dpi"
				     back-image-file="back_Roman_Blocks.png" back-mask-file="back_Roman_Blocks_mask.png" back-resolution="150 dpi">
<!-- row 1 -->
			face-left="0" face-right="250" face-top="0" face-bottom="172" />
			face-left="250" face-right="503" face-top="0" face-bottom="172" />
	    </counter-sheet>
	</game-box>
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

TGov wrote:Is there some code I am missing about getting the back side to show up on the board?
Hi TGov!
I'm not sure to understand what you're trying to achieve.

I think you should use "counter-section" instead of "card-section". "card-section" is meant for counters - playing cards actually - that share a single back image.

For each counter-section, define the position of the section on the front image (with "front-..." attributes) and on the back image (with "back-..." attributes).

See the Eylau game box for an example.
TGov

Post by TGov »

Thank you for your help Jerome! I feel bad that you are having to answer all of my questions. When it comes to code, I am completely ignorant.

I got it to flip the counter sheet now, however it will only allow me to select the back side pieces, and once I select them and move them to the board I can't flip them over again. It won't even let me select the front side of the units. I think this is about my last hurdle before I can just finish putting everything together.

<game-box
	copyright="GMT Games"
	<dice-hand type="D6">
	</dice-hand>
	<counter-sheet name="Romans" front-image-file="Roman_Blocks.png" front-mask-file="Roman_Blocks_mask.png" front-resolution="150 dpi"
				     back-image-file="back_Roman_Blocks.png" back-mask-file="back_Roman_Blocks_mask.png" back-resolution="150 dpi">
<!-- row 1 -->
	    <counter-section shadow="0" supply="24"
			face-left="0" face-right="250" face-top="0" face-bottom="172"
	    		back-left="250" back-right="503" back-top="0" back-bottom="172"/>
	    <counter-section shadow="0" supply="24"
			face-left="250" face-right="503" face-top="0" face-bottom="172"
			back-left="0" back-right="250" back-top="0" back-bottom="172"/>
			</counter-sheet>
	</game-box>
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

TGov wrote:Thank you for your help Jerome! I feel bad that you are having to answer all of my questions. When it comes to code, I am completely ignorant.
You're welcome. :wink:
TGov wrote:I got it to flip the counter sheet now, however it will only allow me to select the back side pieces, and once I select them and move them to the board I can't flip them over again. It won't even let me select the front side of the units. I think this is about my last hurdle before I can just finish putting everything together.
Just replace "face-..." attributes by "front-..." attributes (you're not the first one to fall into this trap, I should have known better before renaming those attributes, sorry).
TGov

Post by TGov »

:oops:

ughh.... it is always something obvious....lol. Nothing like working with text to make me feel dense.

Thanks again Jerome!

I am sure this won't be my last question......

:oops:
TGov

Post by TGov »

ok, everything was working fine until I added one unit to my counter sheet and now ZunTzu is crashing after it loads the graphics. This is the message I am getting:

version 1.2.1.2
System.NullReferenceException&#58; Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.a&#40;Int64 A_0&#41;
   at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.b&#40;Int64 A_0&#41;
   at ZunTzu.b.b&#40;String&#91;&#93; A_0&#41;
Does it mean that the object reference to a coordinate in the xml file or does it mean that one of my image files isn't either working or not there? I have check everything several times and can't seem to find it.