Any tips for playing Citadels?

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Raydancer

Any tips for playing Citadels?

Post by Raydancer »

This is some very high quality software...very impressive and quite elegant. I'm anxious to start making my own game boxes and I hope to start with the English version of Citadels (a game I very much want to teach to a buddy who lives far away).

I downloaded the French version to try to learn the interface and was wondering if anyone had any tips on playing the game in Zuntzu. The game has a fairly unique way of passing the hand of role cards around while trying to keep them secret (this happens at the beginning of each round)...but I'm not sure how to do this efficiently. I haven't actually tried with another person, so I'm wondering if you can pass the cards directly to the person? Or do you have to flip them over in your hand (which seems to only allow one-by-one flipping), place them on the table where the other player picks them up and has to flip them over (again, one-by-one) to choose their role.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...
MAZ

Re: Any tips for playing Citadels?

Post by MAZ »

Hi Ray ! Thx for taking the Fr box as example :D !

Good question for citadels. In fact, at now, the only thing you can do for choosing a character is:
1- take in your hand the all deck with the backside visible. Just press CTRL while passing on the deck and take the last card (at the bottom of the deck) and move it to your hand (or simple press space bar).
2- flip in your hand each card one-by-one to choose your character.
3-unflip the unchosen cards in your hand and remake a deck on the table (one-by-one, that's the annoying part)
4- next player makes the same for choosing his own character.

Hope that would help.
Raydancer

Re: Any tips for playing Citadels?

Post by Raydancer »

Thanks for taking the time to make the game box MAZ! It's nice to have a familiar game to play with, even though I can't read the cards. Actually, I could play with the French cards, as I know the game pretty well, but it'd be hard to teach to English speakers.

Unfortunately, your answer is what I was afraid of. I hope Jerome is reading, as I think what Zuntzu needs is a way to transfer cards directly to another player without having to use the table. It'd be perfect if you just select the cards you want to transfer and drag them to the player name on the upper left side of the screen. Also, the ability to select cards in your hand to perform actions on would be useful in multiple instances: cards wouldn't have to be flipped one by one, but could instead be selected and then flipped as a group...or you could lay a specific set of cards on the table instead of setting them down one by one. The ability to create selection sets in your hand would definitely make transferring cards via table easier, and would probably be nearly as easy as a direct player to player transfer.

Of course, I've read in other posts that Jerome is tweaking the card system, so these might be situations he already has in mind.