Odd error

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

PeteB

Odd error

Post by PeteB »

I have done a few gameboxes and just created one for Napoleon's Last Battles

When I try to open it, I get this message - any thoughts?

version 1.2.1.14
os Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
framework 2.0.50727.5485
cpu count 2
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Stream stream)
at ZunTzu.Graphics.c.d..ctor(a A_0, PixelFormat A_1)
at ZunTzu.Graphics.c.a.e()
at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.c.e()
at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.b(Int64 A_0)
at ZunTzu.b.b(String[] A_0)
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

More details needed...
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Bill Barrett wrote:More details needed...
What info would be useful?

As far as I can tell, it seems to be a file size issue? The gamebox contains 4 maps scanned and stitched together. I have created a copy with 2 of the 4 maps and that works fine, so I assume the syntax is fine

Is there any limit to file size with zun tzu maps? I assume not, as some of the boxes I have I think have larger maps? Anyway, these maps were around 20MB, and it seems to work with a map around 10MB

Whether that is a ZT issue, or due to limited memory on my PC I don't know

P
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

It's important to realise that it's the RAM capacity of your computer's graphics card that is the limit in ZunTzu - not system RAM.
You should also be aware that the size of compressed files on disk is irrelevant - it's the number of pixels (at 32 bits each) the files contain when loaded and unpacked that count.

Regards, Bill.
Chobham_1980

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Hi PeteB:

:idea: I was working on a large box with maps in the same size range, and 'I think' I received an error of this type. What ended up fixing it for me, was re-writing (not copy/paste - that method did not work) the html code. I do not know what I did wrong, but it ultimately worked. 8)

Out of curiosity, how big is the box? What DPI are the files, Bill may have a point about the vid-memory - I tend to make my boxes @ 300 dpi (jpg).

Keep us posted on your progress/solution.

Regards, Rich
Chobham_1980

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Hi PeteB,

It looks like this error came again! Here is mine, received earlier today --->

version 1.2.1.14
os Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
framework 2.0.50727.8745
cpu count 4
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.

I was working on GDW's Case White (1st edition) with three maps. I stitched them with GIMP2 and exported the combined Map (all three stitched together, with transparency) into both JPG (51 MB) and PNG (220 MB) formats.

1) The box loads with the PNG and keeps its transparency.
2) The box does not open with the original JPG which has transparency.

I used MS paint to open the GIMP2 PNG file and saved it as a JPG (46 MB)- - the box opened with this file. The problem is the transparency was lost in the conversion.

Europa maps are rather large and without a fourth map there is a huge blank spot on this pix file. I prefer transparency because it allows the default black background in ZunZtu to show through and gives a nice look. Without transparency, the blank spot looks white. :(

:?: Is this error produced with GIMP2 JPG images because of the transparency? Is it a GIMP only issue? :?:

Interestingly, earlier I made a Case White box which worked, by using the 'terrain method' (3 distinct maps). I may go back to that method because of the lack of transparency problem. Of course, adding a fourth MAP just might work, but that wouldn't keep Case White as 'original.'

Not sure if any of this information is useful - - but there it is . . . keep making boxes!

Happy Holiday's to All, Rich
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Thanks for the input

It is an odd error, as it seems to make no obvious sense, and it seems to happen inconsistently. I had the same thing pop up with a Balkan Hell gamebox when I used a scanned map, but trying it again with the same map, I haven't seen the error again, and it seems to work fine - for now

So I am scratching my head a little, but since I want to be playing games more than worrying about this, I'll crack on with what works!

Thanks

P
Chobham_1980

A Different odd error with a potential answer!

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Hi Folks:

I was working on GDW's Western Desert and used GIMP2 to stich the maps together. When opening the box with the GIMP made 37MB jpg, this error was received :( :

version 1.2.1.14
os Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
framework 2.0.50727.8745
cpu count 2

After experimenting around with the JPEGS in the box, I realized that the GIMP2 made map was the culprit. So, I took the 37MB Gimp2 jpg and resaved it in PAINT.NET's (ver 4.0.13) as a JPG. The resulting file reduced to 32MB and worked fine in the ZunZtu box! :P

Perhaps the writing is on the wall: Don't use GIMP2 for stitching maps - - or if it is used, then re-do with another S/W like Paint.net:http://www.getpaint.net/download.html to fix the error . . .

If you see an 'odd error' like this - post it here in the forum - especially if a work-around is found :!:

Regards, Rich

EDIT: added to fix the error . . .