Can't get connected

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

ges

Can't get connected

Post by ges »

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm not sure what is wrong.

I have two computers that are networked together via a router and both share the same DSL modem.

In order to experiment with using the ZunTzu and learning more about the 1960 gamebox, I tried to connect these two computers.

I followed the instructions, which were simple enough, but I get the message that the computers 'failed to connect'.

I suspect it has something to do with the firewall in the router and/or modem. Is the IP address that is being returned incorrect on account of the firewall? Seems like I've encountered this problem before, but don't remember how I got around it.
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Can't get connected

Post by Jerome »

ges wrote:I suspect it has something to do with the firewall in the router and/or modem. Is the IP address that is being returned incorrect on account of the firewall? Seems like I've encountered this problem before, but don't remember how I got around it.
Hi ges. I'm sorry you've encountered a problem.

IP address alone is not enough. Make sure you use both the IP address and the port number returned by ZunTzu.

In case it doesn't help, maybe your router is lacking a key feature called "hairpin translation". As a consequence, the packets sent by your
computer have no possibility of making a "U-turn" inside the router to get to your other computer. It's not a firewall issue because ZunTzu would have reported it to you.

I recommend you make your two computers talk to each other directly using only local addresses:
- in the IP address box, type the name of your hosting computer, not the IP address returned by ZunTzu (you can find the computer name in the System properties of the Windows Control Panel).
- in the port box, type the port number that you chose when hosting (1805 most likely), not the one returned by ZunTzu.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
ges

Post by ges »

Jerome,

Thanks for the information. When I get a chance I'll try the method you've suggested.

I did use both the port and IP address when trying to connect.

Somehow I got around this problem when using wargameroom.com. I'll see if I can remember what I did there and try it for ZunTzu.

Otherwise I may not be able to host, but I assume I can still connect to someone else's hosted game.

g
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

ges wrote:Otherwise I may not be able to host, but I assume I can still connect to someone else's hosted game.
If ZunTzu doesn't report a firewall issue, you should be able to host an Internet game. The "hairpin translation" issue only affects computers trying to join from within your local network. Computers joining from the Internet will not be affected.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
ges

Post by ges »

Ah, thanks. Well, I hope to be able to try this out soon.
hebus

Post by hebus »

You can user a third application named Hamachi which is a VPN software. I use it to connect my computers together and this works with ZunTzu.