A glimpse at ZunTzu 2

This is the place to contribute to the next version of ZunTzu.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

GJK

Post by GJK »

Jerome wrote:
I am considering such a feature, but only for counters in unlimited supply.
Those markers will still be double-sided, but you will be able to define transition chains between them, to give the illusion that they are four- or six-sided.
I like this approach. I've always appreciated your approach of closely simulating the board game experience on the computer. While I love VASSAL, some of the recent automations that have been implemented are making the gameboxes function more like computer games. I like finding and placing my own counters. The issue on a screen however is screen real estate (even in these days) where as a lot of scrolling may be needed to view large stacks or to switch to off-map holding boxes, etc. having counters that are chained to other counters so that the counters still appear to be a double sided counter as you'd find in a print copy of the game is a wonderful go-between.

I'm excited to see what you come up with for 2.0!
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

GJK wrote:I'm excited to see what you come up with for 2.0!
Thanks, Gary! :-)
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
btrhoads

Excited ... Can't Wait

Post by btrhoads »

I discovered EveryGame before finding Zun Tzu and liked it a great deal. I was very disappointed when it was axed from the app store. I think Zun Tzu is much better than EveryGame and I am quite excited you have chosen this path. I have access to at least one version of each of the ios devices if you need any testing done. Somewhere I read there might be a version released in August. It is August 27th as I write this, how soon can I get my hands on it? And I don't care what you charge for .... I want it! :D
sleevan

Re: Excited ... Can't Wait

Post by sleevan »

btrhoads wrote:I discovered EveryGame before finding Zun Tzu and liked it a great deal. I was very disappointed when it was axed from the app store. I think Zun Tzu is much better than EveryGame and I am quite excited you have chosen this path. I have access to at least one version of each of the ios devices if you need any testing done. Somewhere I read there might be a version released in August. It is August 27th as I write this, how soon can I get my hands on it? And I don't care what you charge for .... I want it! :D
Indeed. I would also be happy to test on multiple devices. Any news on this?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I am not ready yet. I'll keep you informed.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
btrhoads

Post by btrhoads »

Jerome wrote:I am not ready yet. I'll keep you informed.
Copy that. Thanks for the update. I am super excited. :D
btrhoads

Update ....

Post by btrhoads »

Can we get even a teenie weenie update .... please, please ..... I check the forums 3 times a day hoping even for just some crumbs. :) How bout a conservative estimate on when we might be able to do some testing. I went out and bought an iPad 3 for my girlfriend today and an iPad 2 for myself. I'm ready ........ :wink:
sleevan

Re: Update ....

Post by sleevan »

Indeed. Keen to test and help out.
Grimshad

Post by Grimshad »

I'm actually a little disappointed. While it would be cool to run this on my Nexus 7. I want to use it on my PC mainly and it seems like your moving away from PC :\
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

My concern also.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Woody8297 wrote:My concern also.
On the first page of this thread, Jerome mentions that he intends to update the PC version once the beta IOS app is released. So far, no mention of whether an android version will ever be made (though I would love to use ZunTzu on my Galaxy Tab).
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

GJK wrote: On the first page of this thread, Jerome mentions that he intends to update the PC version once the beta IOS app is released.
I guess I missed that. Good of you to pass it on Gary.
--Frank
sleevan

Post by sleevan »

Hi Jerome,

Just wondering if there is any news. Still very eager to help test the app.

--Steven
Grimshad

Post by Grimshad »

GJK wrote:
Woody8297 wrote:My concern also.
On the first page of this thread, Jerome mentions that he intends to update the PC version once the beta IOS app is released. So far, no mention of whether an android version will ever be made (though I would love to use ZunTzu on my Galaxy Tab).
My concern wasn't that he was dropping PC all together, but rather that he will be making an app focused around touch controls and mobile design. Then porting it to PC, this would be very bad, as is the gaming industries console ports to PC. Developers tend to leave out essential features for PC simply because they want a unified version or they would have to develop 2 versions of the app simultaneously or because it's more work to add that stuff just for the PC. The biggest one being that most advanced features on the PC could not be supported on a mobile device so they would be forced to branch.

So my main concern is that all of the features I was really looking forward to in Zuntzu 2 will be left out because they just wouldn't work well on mobile. I understand your trying to commercialize this and make some money on the mobile app stores due to their broader audience, but I would pay for this on PC before i would pay for it on mobile. Some reassurance would be nice :)
phillies

Post by phillies »

GJK wrote:How does a board game have counters with 3 or 4 sides to them?
They are called "block" games (Columbia Games, e.g.,), are commercially successful, and work by stacking the unit counters on their thin sides, and then rotating them around a horizontal axis. The unit counters are made of wood, are a quarter-inch or so thick, and are more or less stable with any of their six faces facing up.

The other alternative, in that ultraradical Avalon Hill game 1914, is that each unit is represented by two unit counters, each of which is two-sided. ZunTzu is likely less limited.