A glimpse at ZunTzu 2

This is the place to contribute to the next version of ZunTzu.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Jerome
Site Admin

A glimpse at ZunTzu 2

Post by Jerome »

Hi!

Here is a glimpse at the current state of ZunTzu 2.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYTMFMNiqt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ZunTzu 2 is meant to be a multi-platform boardgame prototyping tool.
The first iteration will focus on the design of the game components, and solitaire and face-to-face playtesting.
Future updates will address remote playtesting, first turn-based - play when you like - and eventually live over the Internet.

I am planning on making a beta version available in August - yep, I am slow and lazy. The beta will target only iOS devices - any iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch except 1st iPhone and 1st iPod Touch.

ZunTzu 2 will be a paid app on iOS devices. I mean to target other platforms as well.

This new version will use a new format for game boxes but will be compatible with most of the boxes made for ZunTzu 1.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

:) :) :) :)
sleevan

Post by sleevan »

Wow. Well worth the wait. One question though: Will Apple allow this app onto the store? I thought they blocked stuff like this.

If you need testers, I'm happy to volunteer.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

sleevan wrote:One question though: Will Apple allow this app onto the store?
The terminology is crucial with regard to that issue. The new version of ZunTzu should be thought of as a boardgame prototyping tool, aimed at game designers.
Game designers will use ZunTzu to virtually test their game components.

Apple will object if they have the feeling that game boxes contain executable code. There is no 'plug-in' or 'module' in ZunTzu... Boxes are just dumb sets of game components built up using the app. It is identical to what happens with productivity apps like iMovie or Garage Band.

I will make sure that the phrasing of the submission to Apple has no ambiguity.
sleevan

Post by sleevan »

Jerome wrote:
sleevan wrote:One question though: Will Apple allow this app onto the store?
The terminology is crucial with regard to that issue. The new version of ZunTzu should be thought of as a boardgame prototyping tool, aimed at game designers.
Game designers will use ZunTzu to virtually test their game components.

Apple will object if they have the feeling that game boxes contain executable code. There is no 'plug-in' or 'module' in ZunTzu... Boxes are just dumb sets of game components built up using the app. It is identical to what happens with productivity apps like iMovie or Garage Band.

I will make sure that the phrasing of the submission to Apple has no ambiguity.
Why not partner with publishers and sell the game boxes as in-app purchases? I'd happily pay up to $5 for a 'dumb' set of components if I could PBEM with friends.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

You read my mind.
5$ seems a bit excessive though.
sleevan

Post by sleevan »

Jerome wrote:You read my mind.
$5 does seem excessive considering there are games with rules implementation and AI for less, but I think you'd be surprised what people would be willing to pay for effectively a better version of Vassal that you can play on your iPad.
basem2502

Post by basem2502 »

sleevan wrote:
Jerome wrote:You read my mind.
$5 does seem excessive considering there are games with rules implementation and AI for less, but I think you'd be surprised what people would be willing to pay for effectively a better version of Vassal that you can play on your iPad.
Agreed! Price point is not material and can be 1,2 or $5.

What matters is people will pay to play their fav wargames on iPad epecially if interface is well executed. There is a huge untapped market here!
Heath

Post by Heath »

Wow! That looks great, nice work!!
sharky6000

Post by sharky6000 »

Looks awesome, nice work.

However... I have to ask: will ZunTzu 2.0 be only ever be available as an app? In other words: if I have a laptop or desktop with no intention of ever purchasing a tablet device, will I be able to use ZunTzu 2.0 ?
Pokke

Post by Pokke »

Great news!

VPG is also working on something similar though, I was not allowed to convert their Nap20 series for the EveryGame app because of this.
(Every Game now appears to be out of the app store completely, I wonder what they did wrong?)

And people are working on Vassal for iOS.

But ZunTzu still is the one I prefer the most, so having that on iPad would be wonderful!
I really do hope that it makes you rich! :)
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

sharky6000 wrote:if I have a laptop or desktop with no intention of ever purchasing a tablet device, will I be able to use ZunTzu 2.0 ?
Yes, that's the plan.
Pokke wrote:I really do hope that it makes you rich!
I'll be pleased if I break even. :-)
robtsuk

Post by robtsuk »

This looks great. Are you using one of the game toolkits to implement it or writing straight to UIKit?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

robtsuk wrote:Are you using one of the game toolkits to implement it or writing straight to UIKit?
I am using mainly C++ and straight OpenGL, with minimal reliance on UIKit.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Will legacy gameboxes be supported in 2.0 or will they only run in 1.0?

Thanks for all of your hard work Jerome!
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer