Same game-box: Vista works, XP doesn't

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Woody8297

Same game-box: Vista works, XP doesn't

Post by Woody8297 »

Here's something that has me stumped.
I was adding counters to a game-box and everything worked fine on my Vista machine. When I opened the game-box on my XP desktop the map displayed fine but when I clicked on the "Counters" tab ZunTzu shut down. I don't remember the error message.
The map's resolution is 150 dpi and the counters' are 300 dpi. And those values work fine in the xml file on the Vista machine. If I change the counters' value to 150 dpi in the xml file, then XP will open the "Counters" tab. The problem with that solution is that the counters are then too large for the map.
And it doesn't answer WHY Vista can use the 300 dpi value and XP can't. Everything else in the game-box is the same.
(Bill Barrett's D-Day uses a 300 dpi map with 600 dpi counters and it works fine on both my machines.)
Anybody have any ideas on what's going on?
--Frank
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Frank,

Apologies for not getting back to you about the changes you made to my gamebox (I've been busy), but the problems you're experiencing are down to the fact that you've saved a couple of the files as interlaced pngs.

Save them as non-interlaced and everything should work fine. The module will also be much smaller :wink:

I'll email you about the other stuff in a day or two...

Regards, Bill.
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

Ah, Bill, I wish I could say that was the answer. I'm sorry to say it isn't.
The files were non-interlaced. I drew the counters in Corel Draw 9 and exported them as png files. I made sure NOT to check the box marked "interlaced".
Just to make sure, I exported another set of counters and DID check the "interlaced" box. As you predicted, the file was larger: 255kb to 243. They also crashed ZunTzu when I clicked on the tab I called "Interlaced counters". And just to make doubly sure, I opened the exact same game-box on my Vista machine and it ran perfectly. The counter sheet displayed when I clicked on the "Interlaced counters" tab and they were the right size when I placed them on the map. Then I clicked on the tab called "Counters" and my non-interlaced counters displayed too. So Vista opened both interlaced and non-interlaced in the same game-box and the XP machine crashed on both.
So....
This time I copied the error message when ZunTzu closed. Here are the details that it said it was sending to ZunTzu:

version 1.2.1.14
os Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
framework 2.0.50727.3625
cpu count 1
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ZunTzu.Graphics.g.a(RectangleF A_0)
at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.e()
at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.b(Int64 A_0)
at ZunTzu.b.b(String[] A_0)

Again, this is from the XP machine. The Vista used the same game-box and ran with it. (First time I've seen Vista do something better than XP.) I hope the error details help somebody. I'm not that tech savvy.
Thanks,
Frank
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Hi Frank!

I am not sure to understand the cause of the problem, but I bet it has nothing to do with interlaced graphics.

I confirm that interlaced graphics should not be used with ZunTzu : games take more time to load, and an "out of memory" error is more likely to occur.

In your case, the box was already loaded, so interlaced graphics are not the culprit. Actually, it probably has nothing to do with graphics!

Is there something wrong with the scenario file? Is the scenario setup consistent with the way the counters are defined in the box?
What I don't understand is why it works in Vista.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

Hi Jerome,
Thanks for joining in, though I'm sure everybody would rather have you spending your time on ZunTzu 2.0. (Me too actually.)
I'm not sure what you mean by "consistent". The box simply defines the image file and the sections where the counters are cut out. The setup scenario specifies that the countersheet is laid out and gives the tab a name. And as you know, it works on Vista.
Did the error message information tell you anything?
The only thing that makes it work on both machines is changing the counter resolution call-out from 300 to 150. But then, as I said, the counters are too big for the map. One other thing I noticed in this case, is that the stacking is slightly tighter on the XP machine. I don't know if that happens in other game-boxes because I never paid attention to it before.
I'm going to play around with importing these counters into other game-boxes that I know work and I'll post my results here. I'm also going to redraw the counters at different sizes to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again Jerome. And you too Bill.
Frank
Heath

Post by Heath »

It seems to me that the simple solution would be to just change the size of the image. Set your DPI to 150, but reduce the image in an image editor to an appropriate size to make it work with the rest of your gamebox.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Frank (and everyone else :wink: ),

I loaded your modded version of my D-Day gamebox on my (Windows 7 6Gb RAM) machine just fine.
However, when I attempted to load a scenario from the menu it crashed with an "Out of Memory" error.

When I had a look (in Irfanview) at the map and counter files I noticed that they were reported as being "interlaced". I saved them as "non-interlaced" and copied them back. Not only was the gamebox 11Mb lighter, but it ran without a problem.

So I still think that this is the issue, but it may be that you've made further alterations since...

Regards, Bill.
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

Bill et al,

I think that D-Day scenario reference may be a great clue and probably goes to what Jerome was asking about scenarios being consistent with the game-box.

I opened up my modded D-Day and it crashed ZunTzu only in the "Open" scenario and only when I clicked on the tab marked "Rep". (FYI to others reading this: modded D-Day, called v2.1, has thee scenarios--Open, Frank's & Jim's--and three tabs--Counters, Rep and DH CRT.) I played a game of 50 turns in the "Frank's" scenario using XP, Vista and my opponent's Window's 7. There were no problems at all. So I suspect the problem is something in the "Open" scenario.

Bill, was that the scenario that gave you your crash too? And you say just copying the files back as non-interlaced corrected the problem? Did you just recopy the counters or the map as well? I remember I only did slight corrections to the map and yet, as you say, it added 11MB to the file. That may be the age of CorelDraw 9 showing. (What is CorelDraw up to now, anyway?)

Oh, and just to muck things up a bit, the error message that I got when ZunTzu closed was NOT an out of memory error. It was the same one that displayed when the other game-box crashed. (See my earlier reply.)

So at my next opportunity to get at my wife's Vista machine, I'll see if Vista runs D-Day 2.1 when I click on the "Rep" tab in the "Open" scenario. I'll let you know what happens.

Bill, can you upload the modded D-Day with your corrected files so I can see if it will run on my XP? And if you don't mind, I'll upload the game-box I was working on (Anzio v1.0) so you can see if it runs on your Windows 7. Maybe this is all a quirk of my XP.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Thanks,
Frank
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

To Bill and whomever else may be interested....

Here is the link to the game-box I call Anzio v1.0:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?r5ywz9mb127a65q

As explained previously, it runs fine on my Vista machine. Under XP, the tab called "Twenty counters at 300" causes ZunTzu to close when I click on it. The remaining tab, called "Allied counters at 150", opens fine. In the game-box xml file the resolution is called out as 300 and 150 respectively. Both image files were exported from CorelDraw 9 as 300dpi non-interaced png files. At least that's what CorelDraw 9 said it did. Perhaps, if Bill gets a chance, he can verify that.

Thanks to all,
Frank
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

That module loads fine on my machine - no problems with either tab.

Irfanview reports that the map is non-interlaced, but that both of your counter sheets are...

I highly recommend that you download it:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Regards, Bill.
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

Bill,
I have taken your advice and downloaded IrfanView. It did indeed knock my 29mb map file down to 17. Amazing! Thanks.
Back to the Vista/XP story:
My wife's Vista laptop ran the modded D-Day (even before IrfanView lightened it) in all scenarios and all tabs with no problems. XP crashed on the "Open setup" scenario with the "Rep" tab just like before. Even after IrfanView.
So I'm thinking it's gotta be my XP. But I don't know why.
If any XP'ers out there want to give it a look here's a link to the Anzio v1.0 that started this mess:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?r5ywz9mb127a65q

My XP crashes when I click on the "Twenty counters at 300" tab. Anybody else's?

Frank
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Well the counters in that Anzio module are still interlaced...

Regards, Bill.
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

Exactly. I wanted to see if anyone else's XP machine would crash using the same counters.

But you're right Bill, I should have included a non-interlaced set as well. So here is the corrected game-box called "Anzio crashtest".

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s458c8su28d8e6q

There are four tabs: two original interlaced and two redone by Irfanview. My Vista machine opens all four. My XP still crashes on the 300 dpi files. Non-interlacing didn't make a difference for me.

Frank
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Frank,

How much RAM does your XP machine have?

And have you actually tried loading a totally non-interlaced version on it?

Regards, Bill.
Woody8297

Post by Woody8297 »

Bill,

I have 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive, XP Service Pack 3.

I just loaded Anzio with only the two non-intelaced files and got the same result: The 300 dpi file crashes, the 150 dpi loads fine. (As I expected, the Vista machine ran them both.)

I think now that interlaced/non-interlaced is not what's causing this. My error messages are not out of memory messages. And if my machine could run (and it did for over 100 turns) my monsterous modded D-Day game with an interlaced map and interlaced counters, then it should be capable of running this relatively tiny Anzio game-box.

It would be nice to have another XP machine give it a try. That would tell me whether it's my machine in particular or XP in general that's causing the crash.

In the meantime I'm going to look into what's different in that D-Day "Open" scenario to see if I can find anything unusual. I mean, that's your "Rep" tab that's crashing there and I didn't change a thing in that file.
Do you remember if that was the scenario that crashed on your machine?

Frank