Unable to open game error message

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Wargamer

Unable to open game error message

Post by Wargamer »

I'm a first time user. I have a Windows 7 operating system. I've installed ZunTzu and the Waterloo game box in a newly created folder on my computer. I can open the game box and move the counters around on the map board.

However another player sent some game files he had for me to learn Waterloo. I put them in a subfolder. However when I attempt to open his files I get the following error message: "Unable to open game. Game box Waterloo was not found in the Library"

Help.
Heath

Post by Heath »

Open ZunTzu, select File, Browse Library, then 'Add'. Add the Waterloo gamebox ZTB file, and now it's in your Library. This lets ZunTzu know where that gamebox is so that when you log in to online games or try to open saved games it can load the gamebox automatically.
Wargamer

Post by Wargamer »

Heath wrote:Open ZunTzu, select File, Browse Library, then 'Add'. Add the Waterloo gamebox ZTB file, and now it's in your Library. This lets ZunTzu know where that gamebox is so that when you log in to online games or try to open saved games it can load the gamebox automatically.
This does not work. Here is what happens:

I open ZunTzu and Browse Library. Waterloo shows up in "Available game boxes".

I click on it and the game box opens with the starting positions for the beginning of the game. Now I try to open a different file and I get the error message.

I tried other files in case one was corrupted for some reason, but no luck.
Heath

Post by Heath »

Sounds like the saved game is for a different version of the gamebox. Gameboxes have hashes that ensure that saved games and opponents in online games are using the exact same source. I would re-download the original ZTB from your friend and try again.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

This sounds a little strange. Are you talking about Avalon Hill's Waterloo game box (it's one of mine)?
Wargamer

Post by Wargamer »

Bill Barrett wrote:This sounds a little strange. Are you talking about Avalon Hill's Waterloo game box (it's one of mine)?
My friend and I just downloaded the Waterloo game box (yes the AH Waterloo). When I make moves and save them on my computer, I can reopen the files whenever I want. When I attempt to load files sent by my friend, I get the error message.

He can not load game files I send him, because he gets the same error message that I do. But he can save game moves of his own and reopen them.

So we both can open our own files, but can not open each others files. Since we have the same version of Waterloo, I'm thinking there is a problem with this game box.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Well that is odd. There should be only one version out there in the world - it was one of my first (although it is long overdue for an update :wink: ).

Perhaps you could email me (or post here) one of the .ztg files you can't load and I'll investigate further...

Regards, Bill.
Wargamer

Post by Wargamer »

Bill Barrett wrote: Perhaps you could email me (or post here) one of the .ztg files you can't load and I'll investigate further...

Regards, Bill.
Thanks for the quick response Bill. I'm new to this forum (and ZunTzu). I don't know how to attach a file to a web response. (I see the "add image" link, but this is not an image but a file. And I don't know how to get your email address.

Ed
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Hi Ed (Menzel ...? :wink: ),

You could click on the envelope icon in my profile, or find me on CSW.

Alternatively you could simply copy the text of the .ztg file in notepad and paste it here...

Regards, Bill.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Yes it does seem to have been a straightforward case of incompatible files.

Just remember (you tinkerers :wink: ) that both players need to use exactly the same game boxes.

Regards, Bill.
Wargamer

Post by Wargamer »

Bill Barrett wrote:Yes it does seem to have been a straightforward case of incompatible files.

Just remember (you tinkerers :wink: ) that both players need to use exactly the same game boxes.

Regards, Bill.
Sorry Bill that it has taken me a bit to get back to you. But after my friend downloaded the latest Wat game box, I wanted to make sure we could exchange files that worked at both ends. I'm happy to say that they do! So thanks. My friend would not have made any changes to the program as he wouldn't know how. So maybe he had an older version.

As I mentioned in an email, it would be helpful to have version #s available to view in the help menu to check this type thing out.

Thanks again for your help!!