Forum Registration, Suggestions/Requests, Bugs:

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Grimshad

Forum Registration, Suggestions/Requests, Bugs:

Post by Grimshad »

First I would like to say I was looking for a virtual board/card game creation tool and I ended up finding "Battlegrounds" Which did some neat stuff, but they charge $40 for the game host and $20 per person that plays with you which is outrageous. I found ZunTzu and so far I find it to do everything I need it to do, I love how smooth and seamless it is compared to other software out there, but it seems to be a little shy on features. Either way, I love this software and hope it remains free.

Second: It took me two days to register so that I could post on the forum, the registration form kept telling me I was entering an invalid CAPTCHA. Maybe I was? I got temporary IP banned multiple times though because I kept failing. Just wanted to let off some steam there after two days of trying to sign up here :)

Third: Suggestions/Requests
1. Currently the only way to move entire stacks at once is to bug out the split function by continuing to hold CTRL when you let go of the split stack. This may be intentional, if it is then it doesn't really flow like the rest of the software. It is really jittery and I think it should be changed that whenever your holding SHIFT you can just drag and drop a whole stack as if it was a single card/counter.

2. When moving pieces from board to board, it is EXTREMELY time consuming. In addition to #1. I think the SHIFT key, when held down, should have additive functionality. For example, hold shift and click 5 different cards/counters should select all 5 of them, even if they aren't stacked, even if they aren't the same, then you should be able to drag all 5 where-ever you want.

3. This is probably a loooong shot for a far future update, but it would be cool to have a clean drag and drop type of creation method instead of using xml. I'm fine with xml, but it would just be nice if it were more streamlined.

Fourth: Bugs
1. If you put a symbol in a scenario description, like "&" for example, Zuntzu will not detect the scenario, you will also get a non-fatal error when going to open a scenario.

2. If you hold an object and then hold spacebar the program crashes.

I don't remember all the other things, I'll have to get back to you guys :D

Side Note: I'm running Windows 7 64bit and cannot host a game. Software says game was hosted fine, no firewalls, router is DMZed and port forwarded just in case, UAC is off, all clients get the timed out message.

P.S. How do you designate an object is a card rather can a counter so counters don't stack on them?

I'll probably have more to write later after I remember everything.
Grimshad

Post by Grimshad »

I fixed the network connection problem. It seems that it just doesn't work on the default port, but runs fine on any other port.
Heath

Post by Heath »

Grimshad wrote:I fixed the network connection problem. It seems that it just doesn't work on the default port, but runs fine on any other port.
Make sure you are running ZunTzu as an Administrator if you want to host a game on Win 7.

http://www.zuntzu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3258
Grimshad

Post by Grimshad »

To add to the feature suggestion/request list:

- Add scaling of cards/markers/counters/pieces/terrain both in game so that you can size things to the size you want AND also to the xml so that developers can increase or reduce the default size of things
- Add a small number next to stacks when you hover over them or holding a specific key so that you can see how many items are in the stack.
- Ability to rebind keys
- Ability to draw/write on the game board so players can keep track of scores within the game <<< this 1 is important
- Ability/option for each player to have their own view and be able to move it independently from other players
- Ability to load a Scenario before the game box
- xml code to add "tooltips" to objects so that it displays when moused over.. maybe?
Heath

Post by Heath »

Based on the above message, I just donated via Paypal to ZunTzu. I get a tremendous amount of value from it and Jerome deserves the support. Donate today and let's get ZunTzu 2.0 released!
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Thanks Heath! I appreciate. :-)
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Hi Grimshad!

Thank you for giving ZunTzu a try and welcome to this forum.
I'm sorry you had a bad sign up experience. I don't know what went wrong.

Thank you for your remarks. All the issues you reported will be fixed in ZunTzu 2 with one exception: there will be no tooltip because it would be too much work for box designers.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

there will be no tooltip because it would be too much work for box designers.
While I know that ease of use is one of ZunTzu's great strengths, I think it would be a real shame if this sort of functionality was excluded entirely. By all means make such things optional, but please don't deny them to those of us who'd like to stretch the envelope :wink:

I've already written my own small suite of programs to ease gamebox building, and I also have plans to write programs that will read saved game files and alter certain game states automatically. I actually want more complexity/sophistication, not less.

Ideally I'd like ZT to evolve into a "sandbox" type application (or environment) that would allow me to drive and/or interact with it externally...
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Bill Barrett wrote:Ideally I'd like ZT to evolve into a "sandbox" type application (or environment) that would allow me to drive and/or interact with it externally...
Do you mean you would be willing to write plug-ins for ZunTzu if such a thing existed?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Exactly, although I'm only a hobbyist coder :wink:

I'm sure that more experienced/professional programmers could do wonders with such a facility, and it would give ZunTzu a much better chance of overtaking VASSAL...
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Bill Barrett wrote:Exactly, although I'm only a hobbyist coder :wink:

I'm sure that more experienced/professional programmers could do wonders with such a facility, and it would give ZunTzu a much better chance of overtaking VASSAL...
I am afraid it won't be possible. Third-party plug-ins would be a security issue. I would prohibit deployment on things not-Windows.
Zwever

Re: Forum Registration, Suggestions/Requests, Bugs:

Post by Zwever »

Grimshad wrote:Second: It took me two days to register so that I could post on the forum, the registration form kept telling me I was entering an invalid CAPTCHA. Maybe I was? I got temporary IP banned multiple times though because I kept failing. Just wanted to let off some steam there after two days of trying to sign up here :)
I agree with Grimshad : The CAPTCHA is a real pain in the ass it took me 3 days to register. And still it was a lucky gues.

But here I am.

Grtz,

Zwever