terrain?

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

GK1

terrain?

Post by GK1 »

can someone point me in the direction of any info on Terrain and how it is used in a game. how is it different from counters. and what does the edit terrian button do?
bggames01

Post by bggames01 »

A terrain sheet gives you elements like cards/counters, but they are non-stackable, and cannot be moved in normal mode. When you click "edit terrain" all the terrain sheet tabs will show up, and you can move (new) terrain into place. As soon as you exit edit terrain mode the terrain sheet tabs disappear and all terrain tiles are immovable. This is similar to the background you get from a map image, but it can be changed for example during initial setup of the game. Since the terrain tiles can't be moved or stacked, you can put counters and cards on them without having to worry about them getting messed up.
GK1

Post by GK1 »

thanks.
Thats what I was looking for. could you post an example of the code for terrain. I have not found any and wondering what the difference is between that and counters. Also I have made my game box long ago and don't really have the time right now to do an extensive search on how to.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Here's some sample code:

Code: Select all

<terrain-sheet name="TEC"
		front-image-file="TEC.png" front-resolution="300 dpi">
		<terrain-section front-left="0" front-top="0" front-right="337" front-bottom="3300" />
</terrain-sheet>
GK1

Post by GK1 »

removed to keep game owners happy
Last edited by GK1 on 09 Feb 2010, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Not sure (I'd need to know the exact error message you're getting), but I noticed that you've declared your terrain file as "planet.JPG" - you should change it to "planet.jpg" (all lower case).

Also (and this doesn't relate to your problem), you don't need to include the line: icon="icon.bmp" nor do you need to declare supply="1" (it's one by default).

Regards, Bill.
GK1

Post by GK1 »

with this code I get the program to load but I can't find the terrain when it is running.

<terrain-sheet name="planet" front-image-file="planet.JPG" front-resolution="300 dpi"> 
	<terrain-section rows="1" columns="1" front-left="0" front-top="0" front-right="60" front-bottom="56" supply="2" /> 
</terrain-sheet>
I will put my original code in and see what the error code is.
GK1

Post by GK1 »

the 'game-box' start tag on line 2 does not match the end tag of 'terrain-sheet'. line 85, position4.

with this for code

</terrain-sheet name="planet" 
	<front-image-file="planet.jpg" front-resolution="300 dpi"> 
	terrain-section front-left="0" front-top="0" front-right="60" front-bottom="56" /> 
</terrain-sheet>
GK1

Post by GK1 »

ok I figured it out. thanks.

it was as normal in code format. I found another terrain topic and someone posted some lines in there. showed me the errors of my ways.