Can ZunTzu do...

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

gmgoncal

Can ZunTzu do...

Post by gmgoncal »

First, what an amazing application. It is elegant yet simple. Yes, I had some early pains with my first gamebox, but on the whole am very excited. I think that the possibilities for 1) playing solitaire, 2) prototyping new games and sharing with others for play testing are really tremendous. Which brings two questions to mind:
1) is it possible to add rules to the gameboxes? I understand that this would be problematic in the case of published games, but there are so many free Print and Play (PnP) games now, that I can think of various situations where rules would be both appropriate and useful. (Yes, one could add an image file to a tab, but that may be somewhat clumsy, especially for longer rules.)
2) Also regarding PnP games, is there the possibility to simulate paper and pencil games, or games where one keeps track of things but jotting them down. D-Day Dice comes to mind. The VASSAL implementation uses a neat system of check boxes and incrementable counters to simulate the tracking sheet the player keeps track of resources when playing the game in the real world. Certainly there are ways of getting around this in ZunTzu with numbered markers, dice as pieces, etc., but the ability to have a counter one can increment or decrement (by using up/down or clicking, etc.) would be a great way of replicating that paper tracking mechanic. Assuming this does not exist, I do understand that it is bit of a niche feature, and probably does not rate very high on many users' minds as a future feature.

Again, tremendous work Jerome. I don't see how you are able to have a life and still create such an wonderful program. Looking forward to working further with it and learning more from the forthcoming tutorials.
bggames01

Post by bggames01 »

Some way to have a special "paper form" tab where you can enter text/numbers would be great. Perhaps the ability to add a spreadsheet file to a tab and have players able to enter text/numbers into the fields of the spreadsheet? There are a number of wargames where the need to write down information is important and would be very clumsy to simulate with counters.
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Can ZunTzu do...

Post by Jerome »

gmgoncal wrote: but the ability to have a counter one can increment or decrement
You can use a counter wheel. Players rotate the wheel until the correct number is displayed at the top.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
gmgoncal

Re: Can ZunTzu do...

Post by gmgoncal »

Jerome wrote:
gmgoncal wrote: but the ability to have a counter one can increment or decrement
You can use a counter wheel. Players rotate the wheel until the correct number is displayed at the top.
I think I finally got what you meant...the "counter" is not a wheel that turns behind a another piece of cardboard with a little window cut out, but simply the wheel itself which the player turns. I am going to try that. When I tested rotating a counter it seems that it rotated about 23 times before returning to the starting position. That, in and of itself, may suffice.

Yet another question which have searched for but was not able to fully determine if I am correct: is there the ability to freeze some dice and re-roll some of the dice rolled in your turn (a la Yahtzee where you pick some dice from the roll to set aside and roll the others.) The only way that I can see that working, currently, is to have each die be a separate hand that you roll separately. Is that correct. As I understand it, a dice hand rolls all of the dice in that hand each time, without the way to select only some for re-rolling. So, if I am correct in my understanding, if I have a game with 6 dice and the player can on his turn roll them all and select some to re-roll x number of additional times, I would need to create 6 dice hands, and during each turn roll each die separately for the initial roll, and continue by re-rolling any of the dice.
Thanks,
George
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Good catch George,

Yes I think the only way to currently do it, is to put each die into a separate hand :cry: