Feature: mirrored board

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

bggames01

Feature: mirrored board

Post by bggames01 »

For block games: 1 layoutboard that is mirrored into 2, say A and B. It shows the same layout image on both, but if the counters are showing front on A, they show reverse on B and vice versa. This way each player can take a board and hide it from the other. If you can see your blocks on your board, your opponent can only see the reverse on their board. If you need to show the pieces to each other you can both swap them.

Is this too advanced for ZunTzu – against the "tabletop simulation idea"? No! On a real table both players would be sitting at opposite ends of the table. With block games they would be seeing the opposite face of each block, just as I am proposing. Changing ZunTzu so every player can be looking at a different tab would help for this as well.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

My idea for block games is to attach an ownership concept to blocks.
Blocks would start up with no owner, face up on the table, just like a regular counter.
When a player flips a block (right double click), he will become the owner of that block.
An owned block is displayed standing up on the edge, in front-three-quarter for the owner, and in back-three-quarter for all other players.
Of course rotations still apply when a block is standing up.
The owning player can revert a block to a not-owned state - and thus disclose its face - by flipping it.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Hi Jerome,

That looks like a beautifully simple and elegant solution - can you give us some indication as to when it'll be ready?

I have a related problem with a module I'm currently building for a forthcoming game from GMT:

The game uses a limited "Fog of War" mechanic by stipulating that only the top counter in a stack is visible to the opposing player - he cannot examine the pieces underneath until he declares an attack; as ZunTzu stands at the moment, this is not possible to implement.

I think what is needed is:

1) Some means to alter the stack "leaning" direction (and for this sort of case I would think you'd need a command like "shadow=0" - maybe "stack lean=0" so that all the counters' details would be invisible beneath the top one - but with some indication of how many counters are in a stack).

2) Some means of examining a stack's contents without your opponent seeing them, but with some simple way to reveal the stack contents when necessary.

Any ideas?

Regards, Bill.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Bill Barrett wrote:That looks like a beautifully simple and elegant solution - can you give us some indication as to when it'll be ready?
I wish I could. Sorry.
Bill Barrett wrote:The game uses a limited "Fog of War" mechanic by stipulating that only the top counter in a stack is visible to the opposing player - he cannot examine the pieces underneath until he declares an attack; as ZunTzu stands at the moment, this is not possible to implement.
I agree with your statements. I've been thinking about ways to solve that problem.
In the meantime maybe you can mitigate the problem by implementing counters as cards. Card stacks don't spread unless you press Ctrl.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.