Fantastic Tool, but just one issue..

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

standers

Fantastic Tool, but just one issue..

Post by standers »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this great platform... fantastic, and totally unknown to me until recently..

I have spent a lot of time recent months with an own game design. The game involves many components and the initial setup is pretty time consuming to setup. Right now, I still make smaller modifications to the game and I then get the problem that the hash changes for the gamebox and the savefile that I have created for the previous version does not work anymore.

I understand the concept of the hashfile but is there no way around this? It takes about an hour for me to setup all components on the board in Zuntzu, pretty tedious work to do all over again for each small modification.

If I just update the savefile with the new has, the game loads but the components are no longer in the right place, and when I zoom out the gameboard - the application crashes. Am I doing something wrong here, have I missed something?

Otherwise, would it be hard to make it possible to implement a Zuntzu "developer mode" - without the hashcheck? It would make my life much easier.

Again, thanks for a great tool - I promise that I will add my paypal-contribution to your project soon.

/ Stefan
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Hi Stefan!

You can safely change the hash code using Notepad if the identifiers of the pieces - counters, cards and terrains - in your scenario setup are unchanged. Pieces are numbered increasingly from 0 starting with the first counter section of the first counter sheet declared as a "layout" tag in your scenario file.

It means you can change the hash code in these cases:
- you haven't changed the definition of the pieces at all.
- you've only changed counter sheets that are not used in your scenario.
- you've added counter sheets and declared them last in your scenario file.
- you've added counter sections at the end of the last declared counter sheet of your scenario file.
- you've altered the last counter sections of the last declared counter sheet, but those pieces were not part of the setup anyway - they were left unpunched.

Even if you've changed the identifiers of the pieces, you can still manage to recover a part of your setup. That's because the lower identifiers will be unchanged most of the time.
For instance, if you have inserted a counter section that altered the numbering over 376, just remove any data about pieces with identifiers higher than 376 in the scenario file. Those pieces will become unpunched.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
standers

Post by standers »

Jerome wrote:
It means you can change the hash code in these cases:
- you haven't changed the definition of the pieces at all.
- you've only changed counter sheets that are not used in your scenario.
- you've added counter sheets and declared them last in your scenario file.
- you've added counter sections at the end of the last declared counter sheet of your scenario file.
- you've altered the last counter sections of the last declared counter sheet, but those pieces were not part of the setup anyway - they were left unpunched.
Jerome, thanks a lot for your fast reply..

The latest change I did was a minor correction on the main game board. I simply modified and replaced the jpg in the game-box. Same name, same resolution... but the hash changes and my save-files does not work even if I modify them and replaced the hash with the new one.

I can load the game-box (ztb-file) , no problem... everything looks fine, but of course - all components are on their original positions.

If I load the saved game with the corrected hash, it seems to load ok but when the game board is shown, a lot of pieces are misplaced. Also when I zoom / pan the board, the application crashes..

Code: Select all

version 1.2.1.14
os Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
framework 2.0.50727.3053
cpu count 2
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.a(Int64 A_0)
   at ZunTzu.Visualization.y.b(Int64 A_0)
   at ZunTzu.b.b(String[] A_0)
I have a previous version of the game-box where I did not change the jpg, when I use that one instead it works as it should.

Is this simply a situation where it is not possible to re-use the savefile? No other way around it?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

The latest change I did was a minor correction on the main game board. I simply modified and replaced the jpg in the game-box. Same name, same resolution... but the hash changes and my save-files does not work even if I modify them and replaced the hash with the new one.

I can load the game-box (ztb-file) , no problem... everything looks fine, but of course - all components are on their original positions.
Stefan, I get this problem all the time and what I do (it seems to work almost always) is I change the .ztg to a .zts and put it in the .ztb folder (just as if it were a new scenario). I then load it in from the scenario menu after the game box has loaded, and then just save the game...

Regards, Bill.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

standers wrote:The latest change I did was a minor correction on the main game board. I simply modified and replaced the jpg in the game-box. Same name, same resolution... but the hash changes and my save-files does not work even if I modify them and replaced the hash with the new one.
If you've only replaced a JPEG file, the saved game should work, providing you replace the hash code - it will also work using Bill's technique. Make sure to use the correct hash code for the new game box, otherwise ZunTzu will use a different game box than the one you expect.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.