Selecting specific cards from a deck.

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

dlaufle

Selecting specific cards from a deck.

Post by dlaufle »

I'm working on converting a CDW (Card Driven Wargame) to the system and the only thing this does not have over vassal imho is the ability to select specific cards out of a deck.
I need the ability to have a deck of 60 or more cards and select one card out easily.
Vassal does this with a numbering system. You can type in the card number and then your next draw is that card.

In Zun Tzu I think this can be done easily with a REVERSE selection from the card/counter sheet.
i.e. go to the card/counter sheet and select the greyed-out (in use) card or counter from the sheet with a hotkey (shift, ctrl, etc) and pop it BACK into the sheet. Then you can take that card out again and place it in the hand or playfield.

Is this function already in the game and I'm missing it? Is it possible to implement easily?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Is this function already in the game and I'm missing it? Is it possible to implement easily?
It doesn't (yet) exist as you describe it, but what exactly are you trying to do?

If you want to implement a system whereby you can choose any card from a deck without your opponent seeing it, then you can either simply load the deck into your "Hand" and select it from there, or you can build a separate "Map Tab" and layout all the cards on that (using the "Eye" icon to hide it).
dlaufle

Post by dlaufle »

Bill Barrett wrote: It doesn't (yet) exist as you describe it, but what exactly are you trying to do?
If you want to implement a system whereby you can choose any card from a deck without your opponent seeing it, then you can either simply load the deck into your "Hand" and select it from there, or you can build a separate "Map Tab" and layout all the cards on that (using the "Eye" icon to hide it).
The problem with the hand method is that I have seen no way to put the deck back onto the playing field easily. Holding control to grab the stack does not seem to work.
I have to drag each card individually back into a pile on the playing field. Is there a shortcut I am unaware of to do this?

Another issue with the hand is that it's not easy to view all the cards if you have a large number of them. This is easier with your second method of laying them all out in a map tab, but the point is that this has already been done within the program. The card sheet is already laid out and easier to look at. The best option is to look at the 'punched' sheet, find the card you need and repunch it for use.

With 100+ cards in a deck, putting them into your hand, going through them all visually one by one then having to lay them back into a deck on the playing field one at a time is incredibly tedious.

Again I like the idea of being able to repunch a counter or card as there might be situations where a HUGE number of counters and cards are on the playing field and you need to remove a specific one. Searching the playing field for it might not be as easy as going to the organized sheet (Tab) from which it was punched, locating it there and repunching it.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Great idea. I think the home key would make the ideal choice to make a chit or card return home to it's spot so you can quickly reselect it. Could we have a small update to Suntzu which could add this?