JPG, PNG, and GIF Maps

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Uhlan

JPG, PNG, and GIF Maps

Post by Uhlan »

I know GIFs are not recommended, but I have found that the monster-game scale maps in my My Last Full Measure series of games tend to give me Out of Memory crashes unless I use GIF image maps. I don't use GIFs for anything but maps, but I'd rather not have to use them at all.

The problem is that the map for my current Maryland Campaign is 27.35m in JPG (least compression), 15.27m in GIF, and 9.8m in PNG, yet the PNG runs out of memory (and noticeably takes longer to load) while the GIF does not.

So, does ZunTzu handle PNGs in a way different than other image types that uses more memory? It "feels" like it's multi-loading it, essentially making it twice or more as large.
Bill Barrett

Re: JPG, PNG, and GIF Maps

Post by Bill Barrett »

Hi Uhlan,

Yes, GIFs are not recommended, but also please remember that JPEGs, PNGs etc. are simply disk compression formats and that their size (on disk) has no real bearing on the amount of RAM memory they will take up when loaded.

I'm certain I can figure out any issues you might have (and your mask problems mentioned on another thread), but I'd need to see your gamebox.

If you're happy with that, just email me...

Regards, Bill
Uhlan

Post by Uhlan »

I've been playing with the problem a bit. Trying JPGs with less compression was yielding way too much artifacting, especially around text (typical of JPGs) but reducing the PNG to 32k colors dropped the size and didn't harm the quality since it was actually using 5k colors.
Anyway, I think PNG will work out. I'm converting all the graphics to PNG (most were JPG) make things as lean as I can.
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

PNG are ok, remember to not check the interlaced/progressive and they will be fine. also, reducing the map and counters dimensions will help too. ZunTzu has a good zoom feature so the file dimensions could be reduced.