Sizing maps when building a game box

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Dan

Sizing maps when building a game box

Post by Dan »

I am working on a game box that is using maps and counters from several existing game boxes as well as scans available on the net.

At one point, I could not get a counter sheet to work in my game box. I noticed that it was a different dimension than the other counter sheets. So I resized it in GIMP to the same dimension as all the other counter sheets, 2550 x 3300, and it worked fine.

The maps, however, are all different dimensions. For example, 3105x4158 150 dpi, 3094x4139 150 dpi, 3150x4200 150 dpi, 3153x4189 150 dpi, etc. The map that I want to use is originally 6112x8317 120 dpi. I used GIMP to reduce it to 3142x4276 150 dpi but the reduced map does not work. When I load the game box, it gets almost to the end of the "loading graphics" stage before crashing. I tried loading the original map just to see and of course it crashed even before I got to that stage. I tried scaling the map down to 3013x4100 so that it would not be bigger than the other maps, and again the program got almost to the end of the "loading graphics" stage before crashing. I note that it took ZT a long time to generate the "Zun Tsu has encountered a problem and needs to close" screen compared to when I used the original, large map.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Is there some other variable that I should be looking at besides dimension?
Bill Barrett

Re: Sizing maps when building a game box

Post by Bill Barrett »

Hi Dan,

It looks like you're simply running out of memory by trying to load too many graphics files. Because ZT is a 32bit program it cannot load anything more than 2GB into memory. You will also need at least that much RAM on your video card.

The dimensions of each file is irrelevant as long as you don't breach the above memory limit. A general rule of thumb to gauge how much memory you'll need is to multiply the dimensions of each file by 3 (for 24bpp and 16 million colours), so a file of 2550x3300 pixels would occupy 24.08MB of RAM.

Also, I would ditch GIMP and use Irfanview instead.

Regards, Bill