Fog of war?

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

GJK

Fog of war?

Post by GJK »

A friend of mine weighing making a module or gamebox using either ZunTzu or Vassal asked me this question. I know that Vassal can do it, is there a way for it to be done in ZT?
Could we make a Fog of War setting in either Vassal or ZT?
Where it would only show the top unit in a stack to the non-owning player??
Thanks[/quote]
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

No. That's because there is no notion of "owning player" in the current version of ZunTzu.
Next version will have several ways to implement fog of war. All the game boxes designed for ZunTzu 1 will work with ZunTzu 2.

If it's just a matter of hiding the initial setup - i.e. units get revealed when they first move - then it can be done in ZunTzu 1 : just have each player set his units up while the board is hidden to the other player - using the "eye" icon. Players will have to trust each other not to peek at the opponent's stacks.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

This is a problem that has held up the release of a number of my gameboxes.

However I have thought up a workaround, but it would require a "small" :wink: change to the program:

If all the counters are declared as "cards", then "mousing over" the top one in a stack would not reveal the ones below. A player can examine the contents by double-clicking and bringing up the stack selector, but unfortunately his opponent(s) can see them as well. This is also an issue when using "hidden" tabs.

If by default, the stack selector's contents were invisible to other players (with an"Eye icon" toggle perhaps), then the problem would be solved.

Of course if the release of ZunTzu 2.0 is imminent...?

Regards, Bill.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Well, I guess when actually sitting at a table playing someone (which is what ZT wants to try to recreate), then the obvious indicator that your opponent is peaking at your stacks is seeing them reach over the table and flipping over your stacks!

As with many others, I'm anxiously awaiting any news on ZT 2.0. 1.0 was such a big hit, I have a feeling 2.0 will rock the boardgaming community!
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer