ZunTzu's limits

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

lclaudius

ZunTzu's limits

Post by lclaudius »

I think I hit upon one of ZunTzu's technical limits; I tried to load a big map --- 318 x 366 cm at 150 dpi --- and ZunTzu crashed with an out of memory error.

Is this a program limitation, or can it be solved by adding memory to my machine?
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: ZunTzu's limits

Post by Jerome »

lclaudius wrote:Is this a program limitation, or can it be solved by adding memory to my machine?
Hi, lclaudius!

You're pushing the envelope here.

If your figures are correct, your map is really huge, something like 19,000x22,000 pixels! Such a map would require 1,200 MB of memory when uncompressed. It makes me wonder how you managed to create such a monster file in the first place!! :shock:

Even with texture compression on, ZunTzu will meet a peak of memory usage when loading the map from the game box, because the map needs to be temporarily uncompressed to be converted from JPEG to DirectX textures. I estimate that peak at 1,400 MB.

Do you have 2 GB of memory?

I don't think Windows will allocate more than 2 GB to any single program, so you can see we are dangerously close to that limit.

Starting with version 1.2, ZunTzu will support geomorphic maps. In your case it means you'll be able to pack your map as several fragments. It will mitigate the peak of memory usage as the fragments will be loaded one by one, solving your problem.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
lclaudius

Re: ZunTzu's limits

Post by lclaudius »

Jerome wrote:
lclaudius wrote:Is this a program limitation, or can it be solved by adding memory to my machine?
Hi, lclaudius!

You're pushing the envelope here.

If your figures are correct, your map is really huge, something like 19,000x22,000 pixels! Such a map would require 1,200 MB of memory when uncompressed. It makes me wonder how you managed to create such a monster file in the first place!! :shock:
Photoshop can do wonders... :)
Even with texture compression on, ZunTzu will meet a peak of memory usage when loading the map from the game box, because the map needs to be temporarily uncompressed to be converted from JPEG to DirectX textures. I estimate that peak at 1,400 MB.

Do you have 2 GB of memory?
No, just 1 GB.
I don't think Windows will allocate more than 2 GB to any single program, so you can see we are dangerously close to that limit.

Starting with version 1.2, ZunTzu will support geomorphic maps. In your case it means you'll be able to pack your map as several fragments. It will mitigate the peak of memory usage as the fragments will be loaded one by one, solving your problem.
Ok, sounds good. I can wait.