Images look different in ZunTzu

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Beren

Post by Beren »

why do i see differences from the original jpg applied in the gamebox and the result in the gamebox? Look at this iamge to compare, is this normal?

Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

why do i see differences from the original jpg applied in the gamebox and the result in the gamebox? Look at this iamge to compare, is this normal?
If you mean: why is the image not as sharp? A lot depends on the resolution of the image to begin with (the greater the dpi, the more graphical information is preserved), but also some of it must be lost just to get the fantastic ZunTzu zoom effects. I don't know whether this is down to DirectX or ZunTzu - only Jerome would know the answer to that.

Regards, Bill
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Beren wrote:why do i see differences from the original jpg applied in the gamebox and the result in the gamebox?
Images look different in ZunTzu for two reasons:
- the main reason is that images are compressed in video memory using a lossy compression algorithm that slightly degrades images. It is noticeable when the images are zoomed in, so the best way to alleviate the problem is to always provide high definition images. Paradoxically compression brings higher image quality: compressed images at 300 dpi take less memory than uncompressed images at 150 dpi, and they always look better.
- the second reason is that the filtering algorithm used by the zoom adds a very slight blur to images (except maybe when images happen to be rendered at their exact scale). I suppose the amount of blur may vary between different 3D cards.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

By the way, your World In Flames box looks very promising. :wink:
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Beren

Post by Beren »

Thanks Jerome, then is not my fault :)

Thanks a lot... it will be a very big module, it has a LOT of maps, and countersheets.... a lot of them!!!
GJK

Post by GJK »

Beren,

I'm just curious; why the WiF adaptation to ZunTzu - is it because you prefer the way that ZT functions? I ask because I know that the VASSAL module for WiF is supposed to be quite extensive so I'm wondering why the duplication of effort (so to speak). And not criticizing you on that - as a matter of fact, I'm making a ZT gamebox for "Patton's Best" at the moment, even though there are Cyberboard and VASSAL modules for it. I just like the way that ZT functions and think that for a solitaire game, it will be an excellent platform for that gamebox.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Beren

Post by Beren »

Just simply because i love how ZT works, i love the drag and drop of the maps, the zoom utility, the countersheets, the dice, all :)... for me far superior than vassal (and cyberboard when the ZT´s PEBM utility is ready, i pray for that ;) ).
Beren

Post by Beren »

An idea for my WiF gamebox... as this game has a LOT of countershhets, i´m going to paste the same countersheets of the expansions in only one CS... :) Here is a preview: