Is it possible to video record moves?

General discussion about ZunTzu in English.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Woody8297

Is it possible to video record moves?

Post by Woody8297 »

This is addressed to those wizards who posses a lot more computer knowledge than I have.

ZunTzu is considered to have "limited email ability" because it cannot record the hex by hex movement of pieces during a turn. The best you can do is send a ztg file of the end of your turn and have your opponent open it to see where your pieces moved. Most of the time that's fine--hey, that's how PBM worked before email--but sometimes there's a question of how a unit got to where it is shown. It would be nice if ZunTzu could record the path.

So, is there a way ZunTzu can do that?

I'm not a computer guy so I don't know what is possible.

I know ZunTzu has an "undo" feature that stretches back to 100 moves. Is it possible to save that history as a file? That might be enough. Or maybe several "saves" would be required to have a history of a whole turn. But again, I don't have the knowledge of how that could be done. Maybe saving "undo" history is the wrong approach.

In ZunTzu's drop down menu there's a "Video" button under "Settings." The "Enable video capture" is grayed out. Did it work at one time? Was the ability to capture a video file of an entire turn a feature of an earlier version of ZunTzu? Is it possible to enable that feature now? That would be a perfect illustration of unit movement.

And if ZunTzu can't do it, is there a video program that could capture the screen while ZunTzu is running?

I'm asking because I'm ignorant of what is possible. This could be so involved, or the video file so large, that it's not feasible. I just don't know.

Anybody?

Thanks,
Frank
Grognard

Re: Is it possible to video record moves?

Post by Grognard »

I don't have much experience with ZunTzu, but I know that there are many applications to make video recordings of your computer screen.

Game Bar built into Windows 10 and 11 allows people to make videos of games they are playing by invoking the Windows logo key + G key.

Easy Screencast Recorder is a Windows freeware application that might work for you.

OBS or Open Broadcaster Software is a popular app available for every platform that many people use to make videos and do live streaming.

You might also consider not bothering making videos at all and just make a few key screen captures with Print Screen during your turn if that along with some text is enough to illustrate your moves for your opponent.
Chobham_1980A

Re: Is it possible to video record moves?

Post by Chobham_1980A »

Hi Guys! Interesting thread -> 100 undo's? Wow, didn't know that was the case!

For my pennies worth; for competitive play, a 'counter tracker' like in Vassal would be a nice feature. For those who have the skill in C#, don't forget that Jerome made ZT open source -https://github.com/ZunTzu-Software/ZunTzu. That would be a great addition to ZT :idea: :wink: