Card Section Type - XML - "CardFacesOnFrontBackOnOtherS

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Fisholith

Card Section Type - XML - "CardFacesOnFrontBackOnOtherS

Post by Fisholith »

There are 6 card section types listed in the XML grammar page. (see "CardSectionType", in the last chart image.)

Can anyone explain what each does?
I've listed them below with some spacing included to make them easier to read.

Card Faces - On Front
Card Faces - On Back

Card Faces - On Front - Back On Other Side
Card Faces - On Back - Back On Other Side

Card Faces - And Back On Front
Card Faces - And Back On Back

Here is what they look like without spaces.

CardFacesOnFront
CardFacesOnBack
CardFacesOnFrontBackOnOtherSide
CardFacesOnBackBackOnOtherSide
CardFacesAndBackOnFront
CardFacesAndBackOnBack
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Well I think that they're all pretty self-explanatory. They simply provide you with a few more options if you don't need or want the default states.

I think I've used the alternatives only a couple of times - you might want to take a look at my "Ici c'est la France" gamebox for one...

Regards, Bill.
Fisholith

Post by Fisholith »

Thanks for the reply.
This may sound really dumb, so I apologize in advance, but I can't make sense of them. I may just not be connecting something. I mean I think I sort of have an idea, but I'm not even sure if my loose interpretation makes sense.

Is it something like this:

Card Faces - On Front
= Card faces are taken from the "front" image, the "back" image is ignored, and cards can be flipped but both sides use the image seen on the front side.
Card Faces - On Back
= Card faces are taken from the "back" image, the "front" image is ignored, and cards can be flipped but both sides use the image seen on the front side.

Card Faces - On Front - Back On Other Side
= Card faces are taken from the "front" image, the card back is taken from the "back" image.
Card Faces - On Back - Back On Other Side
= Card faces are taken from the "back" image, the card back is taken from the "front" image.

Card Faces - And Back On Front
= Card faces are taken from the "front" image, the card back is also taken from the "front" image.
Card Faces - And Back On Back
= Card faces are taken from the "back" image, the card back is also taken from the "back" image.

What confuses me about this is, why would you ever have a back image entirely without a front image? Or again, maybe I'm not interpreting them correctly.

Sorry to be asking a question with an answer that's probably more obvious than I realize. :/
Easy

Post by Easy »

Old topic, but for me, CardFacesOnFrontBackOnOtherSide was necessary so I could use a separate image file for my card backs (rather than including it on the same sheet that contains the face art).

I had made a sheet of cards that called a separate file for the back art like this:

Code: Select all

<counter-sheet name="Cards"
		front-image-file="CardSheet.png" front-resolution="150 dpi" front-mask-file="CardSheet_Mask.png"
		back-image-file="CardBack.png" back-resolution="150 dpi" back-mask-file="Card_Mask.png">
		<card-section  rows="5" columns="5"
		face-left="0" face-top="0" face-right="1920" face-bottom="2665"
		back-left="0" back-top="0" back-right="384" back-bottom="533" />
	</counter-sheet>
However, when I tested it in ZunTzu the card back were all being displayed as the first card from CardSheet.png. Adding the line

Code: Select all

type="CardFacesOnFrontBackOnOtherSide"
to card-section fixed it so that it would correctly pull the back art from CardBack.png. Hope this helps anyone else running into this issue.
Fisholith

Post by Fisholith »

Thanks for the reply. :)

The "CardFacesOnFrontBackOnOtherSide" option is the only setting I've used other than the default, and for the same reason you described.

Have you used any of the others?
Chobham_1980

Ugh - Wish I had seen this before!

Post by Chobham_1980 »

Ugh - wish I saw this before:

I did my first card ZT box and ran into this exact problem and it took way [:evil: ] to much time in redoing the artwork. . . Next time I need to try this technique :!:

Thanks for the topic - - Rich