making game boxs

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

mfarl2001

making game boxs

Post by mfarl2001 »

Ive made a couple of game boxs. One of a small game in a mag. The map is only a 8.5 by 11 page, same for chart, and only some 40 double sided counters. Its called Assault on Sevastopol. It works I can play it but...
It came out as a 37.6 meg game box! The Third Reich game box was only 8 meg...
I did a game box for the SPI Blue n Grey Chickamauga Quad game, that came out tipping the scales a whopping 103.7 megs! how can I ever hope to mail these off for opponents to try out!

How do you keep the game box sizes down to a manageable size?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Are your components from scans? If so, file sizes will often be much larger than if you used original computer generated graphics.

Have you experimented with jpeg compression and/or reducing bit depth? I've had some amazing results just using the latter technique...
mfarl2001

Post by mfarl2001 »

Thank you for your response!
Yea, all the components are, haven't tried those other things. After I look them up to learn what they are, Ill try em out. Once I connect with someone does the file the host opens get loaded into the other computer or does the person connecting have to pre-load up the game module?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Yes, as long as both players have exactly the same gameboxes in their libraries. As soon as the host player loads his, the other player's will auto load.
mfarl2001

game boxs

Post by mfarl2001 »

Bill Barrett wrote:Yes, as long as both players have exactly the same gameboxes in their libraries. As soon as the host player loads his, the other player's will auto load.
OK so it has to be on the other computer, the game wont transfer it over to the other computer from the host computer then?
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

No, but any saved game files from an online session will only be saved on the host computer. However, if you resume the session at another time, the host will transmit the positions to all other players.

Regards, Bill.