Select board - an option?

Discuss game box design and sharing.

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

GJK

Select board - an option?

Post by GJK »

First off; Jerome - I have to applaud you again on this design, it's very well done! Very 'professional' looking (you've coded before, haven't you? :) ) and really simple to work with.

Secondly, I've created my first gamebox! I did a quick box for Clash of Arms "Landship!", just for the introductory scenario. A question came up, or maybe it should be a suggestion as I think that I know the answer but in this particular game, it has several mapboards that can be layed out in various ways (geomorphic, ala ASL). I'm guessing that currently there's no way to be able to have a single module that would allow players to select the map(s) and then the orientations of the maps is there? Maybe if they are added as "counters"? If not, it wont be difficult to just make several versions of the same module for each scenario since I have the counters added already I can just modify the XML file to accomodate a new board and scenario.

Also, it may of come up before, but would it be possible to add a "Line of Sight" string? It wouldn't need to determine if a LOS is clear or not, just be able to draw from one point to another.

I see that you have an option (grayed out though) for recording a video. I assume that this may be for use as a method of playing by email? If so, that would be great!

Thanks again for this program. I have to say that creating a gamebox was very quick and easy; something that would of taken x10 to do in VASSAL.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
FrenchToast

Post by FrenchToast »

Hello GJK,

In answer to your second question, try clicking with both mouse buttons at the same time on the map and drag the cursor. :-)

As for the geomorphic boards, Jerome said this should be possible in the next version (1.2). Fingers crossed, as I am working on a Panzer Grenadier gamebox right now....

FT
GJK

Post by GJK »

LOS thread is already there, cool!

Geomorphic board support would be nice, fingers crossed as well!

Thanks for the answers FT.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Hi GJK,

I'm glad you found it was both easy and quick to make a game box. Some users are under the wrong impression that it is technical (maybe because it's XML?) so your testimony is very valuable to me.

To complement FrenchToast's answer: be aware that the LOS is invisible to other players. I plan to develop a better tool in an future version.

Regarding the "video" entry in the menu: it is not meant to record a game, it is meant for videoconferencing. Other players can see live video from a camera plugged into your computer.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Jerome wrote:Hi GJK,

I'm glad you found it was both easy and quick to make a game box. Some users are under the wrong impression that it is technical (maybe because it's XML?) so your testimony is very valuable to me.
Making a gamebox for ZunTzu is a breeze compared to VASSAL or Cyberboard even - I made another one last night. The most time consuming part is getting the coordinates for the top-left/bottom-right corner of the countersheets but that's nothing (as an FYI to others who are wondering what to use, I use Irfanview (freeware, www.irfanview.com) to open the countersheet image. You can then click on the top-left/bottom-right corners of each section and it will give you the x/y coordinate.
Jerome wrote: To complement FrenchToast's answer: be aware that the LOS is invisible to other players. I plan to develop a better tool in an future version.
Regarding the "video" entry in the menu: it is not meant to record a game, it is meant for videoconferencing. Other players can see live video from a camera plugged into your computer.
Ah, gotchya - should of figured that. I know that it's been mentioned, but some type of Pbem support (some day) would be great. And agreed, ZunTzu is representative of players sitting together at the board but I'm thinking outside of the box a bit. :) I remember the old days of "Playing by Mail" where you would write down your moves, look at the stock market indexes for dice rolls and then send off your letter via snail-mail when conducting your turn. :shock: :lol:

At any rate, thanks again for this wonderful tool!

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

GJK wrote:I remember the old days of "Playing by Mail" where you would write down your moves, look at the stock market indexes for dice rolls and then send off your letter via snail-mail when conducting your turn. :shock: :lol:
I've never heard of the stock market trick before. Clever! :)
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Arnauld

Post by Arnauld »

Hi GJK (et les autres)

I made a website dedicated to Landships! (http://landships.free.fr) with some stuff to download. There is also a forum where players can chat about their favourite game. We expect to create a community.

I'm very happy that you've made a module for Landships! (introductory scenario only for the moment)

Will you make an entire module (with all maps and all counters) ? If so, I'm very interested.
I'm making a module for cyberboard (with the authorization of Clash of Arms) and we wanted to make a ZunTzu module too. So your project make us really happy.

By the way, if you love Landships!, feel free to join us on Landships! France

(sorry for my poor english)

Arnauld
Landships! France > http://landships.free.fr
joseph

Post by joseph »

FrenchToast wrote: As for the geomorphic boards, Jerome said this should be possible in the next version (1.2). Fingers crossed, as I am working on a Panzer Grenadier gamebox right now....
FT
I'm finishing a first beta release of Tide of Iron gamebox and I'm waiting for FFG authorization. :shock: :wink:
GJK

Post by GJK »

Arnauld wrote:Hi GJK (et les autres)

I made a website dedicated to Landships! (http://landships.free.fr) with some stuff to download. There is also a forum where players can chat about their favourite game. We expect to create a community.

Arnauld
Hi Arnauld,

Your english was just fine!

Yup, been to your site. I had to translate it using Google. Not perfect but I could then understand it. A great resource.

I plan to continue working on the Landships! gamebox once support for multi-board play has been added by Jerome. For right now, I've only been practicing using the Introductory scenario. I plan to play the more detailed scenarios in the near future.

GJK

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Arnauld

Post by Arnauld »

GJK wrote:
Arnauld wrote:Hi GJK (et les autres)

Arnauld
Hi Arnauld,

Your english was just fine!

Yup, been to your site. I had to translate it using Google. Not perfect but I could then understand it. A great resource.

I plan to continue working on the Landships! gamebox once support for multi-board play has been added by Jerome. For right now, I've only been practicing using the Introductory scenario. I plan to play the more detailed scenarios in the near future.

GJK
Hi GJK,

We are very happy to hear that you'll follow your efforts on the Landhips! module. We will be able to play for real !!

Regarding my website/forum, if you desire to register yourself, we may open a topic in english (or even, translate all the website into english). It will be too bad to do without you just because of the barrier of tongue.

Let me know if you want to join our "brotherhood".

Jérome, c'est vraiment génial ton programme ! On va pouvoir jouer à Landships! en réel maintenant !
Vive vous tous !
Arnauld

Post by Arnauld »

GJK, is the gamebox finished ? :P

I'm really enthousiastic !!
Arnauld

Post by Arnauld »

Where are you GJK ?