ZunTzu on a Mac

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

lclaudius

ZunTzu on a Mac

Post by lclaudius »

Has anyone succeeded in running ZunTzu on a Mac? I have a Macbook running OS X and I'm considering purchasing a Windows emulator, but it would be nice if it could run ZunTzu.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Just for testing, I installed Windows XP SP3 under Virtual Box. ZunTzu installs without a problem, but when I try to run it I get the following message:

"Can`t start ZunTzu. Graphics card doen't meet ZunTzu minimum requirements. Are the drivers installed?"

I configured the display under Virtual Box as having 128 Mbytes, with 3D and 2D accelerations enabled.

Any ideas?
btrhoads

Post by btrhoads »

I run ZunTzu under bootcamp with no issues. I can't comment any other software though.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

UPDATE: following the instructions on http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/windows7/win7tips19.html, I was able to run ZunTzu under VirtualBox on a Linux machine. I haven't tested the network connectivity yet, but at least ZunTzu runs now.
Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

That sounds promising - thanks for letting us know :)

How well/smoothly does it run, and can it cope with the larger gameboxes?
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Bill Barrett wrote:That sounds promising - thanks for letting us know :)

Sadly, I spoke too soon. ZunTzu runs, but after a few seconds it hangs the VBox and even the Linux host system. I'll try to tweak it a bit more. Unfortunately, there is not an error log that can give some hints, so I must proceed by trial and error.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

lclaudius wrote:
Bill Barrett wrote:That sounds promising - thanks for letting us know :)

Sadly, I spoke too soon. ZunTzu runs, but after a few seconds it hangs the VBox and even the Linux host system. I'll try to tweak it a bit more. Unfortunately, there is not an error log that can give some hints, so I must proceed by trial and error.
Update: ZunTzu is now working (at least solo, I'll test connectivity this week). What did the trick was using NVidia's proprietary drivers on the Linux host system. No additional tweaks were needed on the Windows virtual system.

Graphics are good quality, although resizing the window or changing the virtual screen to full screen can distort or scramble the image.

The image below is a screenshot of the virtual screen on a window. The gamebox is 217 MBytes.

Bill Barrett

Post by Bill Barrett »

Hi Luiz,

Again, that sounds promising, but how much video RAM do you have allocated to it?

Forget about the size of your gamebox on disk. JPEG compression (or any other type) is irrelevant when loading files into memory - it's the number of pixels that counts. Also, it doesn't matter how much system RAM you have - you're limited to the capacity of your graphics card, and as ZT is a 32bit program that's currently fixed at a 2GB maximum.

I too have built a gamebox for TSWW Blitzkrieg! ;-), but I've had problems keeping it stable (and on a 64bit W7 PC only - no virtual box), because I wanted higher resolution counters, and I have a double monitor setup.

Regards, Bill.
lclaudius

Post by lclaudius »

Bill Barrett wrote:Hi Luiz,

Again, that sounds promising, but how much video RAM do you have allocated to it?

Forget about the size of your gamebox on disk. JPEG compression (or any other type) is irrelevant when loading files into memory - it's the number of pixels that counts. Also, it doesn't matter how much system RAM you have - you're limited to the capacity of your graphics card, and as ZT is a 32bit program that's currently fixed at a 2GB maximum.

I too have built a gamebox for TSWW Blitzkrieg! ;-), but I've had problems keeping it stable (and on a 64bit W7 PC only - no virtual box), because I wanted higher resolution counters, and I have a double monitor setup.

Regards, Bill.
Hi, Bill. I allocated 256 MBytes (VBox's maximum) to video RAM, plus 2D and 3D acceleration capabilities.

This gamebox is working well for me, and I also have a double monitor set-up. But I usually run ZunTzu on one monitor, and open game documents on the other. I have not tried to put ZunTzu's window in both screens.