Connection Failed: Connection Request has timed out

Do you need help installing or using ZunTzu? Would you like to report a bug?

Moderators: Ichibrothers, Cambronne

Xrix

Connection Failed: Connection Request has timed out

Post by Xrix »

Hi there,

I just found Zuntzu today and it's very interesting. I am having an issue with having people connect to my games. My two real life buddies and I are trying to play Agricola.

I did the whole batch file then rightclick and Run As Admin thing as I am running through Windows 7. When I host a game, my friend cannot connect and receives the message saying "Connection Failed: Connection Request has timed out".

I am currently trying it with my firewall completely disabled and with port 1805 forwarded on my router.

With buddy A, he could not connect to me, but when he hosted a game I could connect to him. With buddy B, it will not work either way.

We just tried having a 3 player game, and I can connect to the host but my other friend cannot.

Any help would be appreciated!
Pokke

Post by Pokke »

Edit: Jerome replied, so my message is no longer of any use... :)
Last edited by Pokke on 16 Oct 2012, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome
Site Admin

Re: Connection Failed: Connection Request has timed out

Post by Jerome »

Xrix wrote:I am currently trying it with my firewall completely disabled and with port 1805 forwarded on my router.
Hi Xrix,

I am sorry that the experience is so frustrating. :-(

It is always easier to connect than to host.
You managed to connect when your friend was hosting. It means his settings are fine. There is something wrong with your settings.

Can you make sure that you have either UPnP enabled on your router or port 1805 forwarded but not both? (otherwise the router might tell UPnP that the port is already in use)
Also, make sure that 1805 is forwarded for both TCP and UDP, not just TCP.

I hope it helps.
Jerome, ZunTzu developer.
Xrix

Post by Xrix »

I had the port forwarded with only UDP, I have changed it to both. My router does have UPnP enabled, when I went to host it did not say that port 1805 was in use. Should I disable UPnP? I'm not quite tech savvy when it comes to routers.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

What I would try to do first is disable the port forwarding and keep UPnP enabled.
If it doesn't work, I would then try disabling UPnP and enabling port forwarding.
Xrix

Post by Xrix »

Jerome wrote:What I would try to do first is disable the port forwarding and keep UPnP enabled.
If it doesn't work, I would then try disabling UPnP and enabling port forwarding.
I was able to get it to work yesterday, my router was new to me, so the UI was foreign. On the port forwarding screen there was an option box to actually enable the port forward, so even though the rule was there, it wasn't forwarding. As of now everything for me and one of my buddies is peachy.

When my other buddy tried to host the port came up in the 53,000s. Any idea why it would do that? He didn't type it in manually, it just came up that way automatically.

I'm going to see if I can get him to forward 1805 and what not tonight to get it working, but maybe it is in use and that's why it came up as a different number. I'm abit lost.
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

Xrix wrote:As of now everything for me and one of my buddies is peachy.
Excellent!
Xrix wrote:When my other buddy tried to host the port came up in the 53,000s. Any idea why it would do that?
No, maybe the port is locally 1805 but appears different from the Internet side of his router. If it is not a problem I wouldn't worry about it.
Xrix

Post by Xrix »

Let's say his port is 54321 for simplicity. Should I then have him forward 54321 as his Zuntzu port on his router? Or would I have him forward 1805 and we just happen to type in 54321 if we want to join a game he has hosted?
Jerome
Site Admin

Post by Jerome »

I am not sure.
The simplest thing to do is to rely on UPnP. If UPnP is enabled on his router, there shouldn't be a need to forward ports.
Xrix

Post by Xrix »

We'll give it a shot this weekend, thanks for the help.